HMI Encoder

sevenfins

Joined Jan 24, 2018
I've been scratching my head for a while about this. My boss wants me to create a circuit that takes an absolute encoder and sends the signal to an HMI. No PLC, No motor, no Servo. Just whatever it takes to get the encoder signal to display on the HMI with as little as possible. I've looked, but I'm coming up dry or just not getting it. Maybe there's a component I haven't heard of? Am I overthinking it?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
First, you need to find out what the HMI input is, analog, serial......
Then the encoder signal type , speed, range and format.
A cheap interface could well be an Arduino as they are available for less that $10.
But, until you work out the signals needed, the answer is unknown.
More data needed!

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I've been scratching my head for a while about this. My boss wants me to create a circuit that takes an absolute encoder and sends the signal to an HMI. No PLC, No motor, no Servo. Just whatever it takes to get the encoder signal to display on the HMI with as little as possible. I've looked, but I'm coming up dry or just not getting it. Maybe there's a component I haven't heard of? Am I overthinking it?
Do you have an HMI in mind. What will be displayed, and is it display only

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you also need to source the HMI, nice products are made by Maple Systems, they include models from PC based to simple keyboard-LCD HMI 2 line display.
They also interface with most PLC's.
You will most likely have to come up with a way of converting the encoder absolute data to numeric displayable values.