High Voltage Understanding - Deadly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreene44

Joined Dec 8, 2016
Hello,
Thanks in advance. I have been learning a few things about high voltages. Even built a driver for a fly-back transformer that jumps a nice spark. However I also have a microwave transformer that frankly I would prefer ask about then to test myself (it kind of scares me, as it should I already understand that much). So instead of try this out on my own. Ever. I'm wondering if I plugged it in to mains (and i have). If i wanted to: test the voltage (that I might want to actually do one day), how would I do that? My meter goes to 600V. Also if i wanted to charge the capacitor (and I do not). Simple plus to plus, minus to minus? give it 30 seconds to charge in full?. In practice I probably would plug in the capacitor first. Then the mains. The main thing I'm wondering is if I had one of these fully charged. How deadly would it be? Is it safe to discharge one of these with a 600V rated tool? say a pair of lineman pliers. This might actually come in handy. Well it defiantly will if I tear down another microwave and I am sure I will one day. here's the specs on the capacitor:

H.V.CAPACITOR
BICal
CH85 21105-2100V AC
1.05uf +/- 3% b 10/85/2 (I know the voltage is high but only 1.05uf)
50/60Hz
NO PCB (no idea what pcb is)
MADE IN NINGBO CHINA

also I understand electrolytic capacitors have polarity. Used only for D.C., right? What type of capacitor would this be?

Thanks again - Mean it.

Last edited:

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Hello,
Thanks in advance. I have been learning a few things about high voltages. Even built a driver for a fly-back transformer that jumps a nice spark. However I also have a microwave transformer that frankly I would prefer ask about then to test myself (it kind of scares me, as it should I already understand that much). So instead of try this out on my own. Ever. I'm wondering if I plugged it in to mains (and i have). If i wanted to: test the voltage (that I might want to actually do one day), how would I do that? My meter goes to 600V. Also if i wanted to charge the capacitor (and I do not). Simple plus to plus, minus to minus? give it 30 seconds to charge in full?. In practice I probably would plug in the capacitor first. Then the mains. The main thing I'm wondering is if I had one of these fully charged. How deadly would it be? Is it safe to discharge one of these with a 600V rated tool? say a pair of lineman pliers. This might actually come in handy. Well it defiantly will if I tear down another microwave and I am sure I will one day. here's the specs on the capacitor:

H.V.CAPACITOR
BICal
CH85 21105-2100V AC
1.05uf +/- 3% b 10/85/2 (I know the voltage is high but only 1.05uf)
50/60Hz
NO PCB (no idea what pcb is)
MADE IN NINGBO CHINA

also I understand electrolytic capacitors have polarity. Used only for D.C., right? What type of capacitor would this be?

Thanks again - Mean it.
I see three problems here; the first being that this site doesn't allow mains related "this is how to do it" answers because of the second problem, which is if someone told you how to do it and they missed the slightest safety issue you could be dead. The third problem is that if the instructions were perfect, and you misinterpreted them or made the slightest slip, you could be dead.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Seriously, there's a lot of power at a deadly voltage and a deadly frequency. This is one of those things in which if you have to ask how, then you are better off not trying. Really.

A good way to learn to handle high voltage power supplies is to work with somebody who has enough experience to be able to teach you how to do it safely.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
High voltages per se aren't deadly. If you rub a balloon on your jumper it generates very high voltages but you can't even feel it and it's certainly not dangerous. What kills you is current. The balloon can only a very small current - it is safe. An AA battery can easily supply enough current to kill you but they don't because there isn't enough voltage to drive that current through your skin. A microwave transformer produces a very high voltage, easily enough to get through your skin, and it can supply way more current than is necessary to kill you. Microwave transformers should only be connected to the mains while they are part of a microwave oven with all the covers on and safeties in place.

jgreene44

Joined Dec 8, 2016
Did any of you read? I mean you had to or you would not reply. Three people all said the same thing like they did not even read. I read what I wrote again and again. It states in plain english that I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. I AM ASKING SO I DONT HAVE TO ?? I dont want to sound angry because I am not however WTH?

Oh and btw Albert. Amps v.s. voltage is a silly debate. its a combination of both sir. one without the other would be like mass without momentum. harmless.

Lastly I probably should rephrase the question as to better my chances at an answer I'm looking for. Im sure most anyone would say that this capacitor is deadly. Some would argue a 9V battery has the potential to be deadly. Question should be "if I messed up and touch this thing?" Whats the chances of a person walking away. That my friends is the knowledge I seek. If the next question is why do I want to know if I do not plan to do it well. I do not know. I know I do not want to fly a space shuttle however I find it very interesting. that kind of thing. Would it not be useful to know not only that it has the potential to kill me but, the likely hood as well? We know the answer in many other instances of our lives...

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The capacitor could easily killl you.
(Moderator's note: impolite language removed. -dc)

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Did any of you read? I mean you had to or you would not reply. Three people all said the same thing like they did not even read. I read what I wrote again and again. It states in plain english that I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. I AM ASKING SO I DONT HAVE TO ?? I dont want to sound angry because I am not however WTH?

Oh and btw Albert. Amps v.s. voltage is a silly debate. its a combination of both sir. one without the other would be like mass without momentum. harmless.

Lastly I probably I probably should rephrase the question as to better my chances at an answer I'm looking for. Im sure most anyone would say that this capacitor is deadly. Some would argue a 9V battery has the potential to be deadly. Question should be "if I messed up and touch this thing?" Whats the chances of a person walking away. That my friends is the knowledge I seek. If the next question is why do I want to know if I do not plan to do it well. I do not know. I know I do not want to fly a space shuttle however I find it very interesting. that kind of thing.

The answer to you question is obvious! If you don't want to do it, Then don't!!! To answer your re-phrased question, if you messed up, you would be unlikely to walk away!! High voltage and inexperience is often a recipe for disaster. It takes no prisoners! (I have many years experience working with exceedingly high voltages, and survived because of the very strict training I received as an apprentice.) The advice given is with good intent to hopefully prevent you or anyone else contemplating something similar from being electrocuted. No need to berate those who offer proper advice, it's your choice once knowing the risks if you continue and wind up dead.

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
YOU may have no intention of doing this but others will read this thread and may decide it would be a good idea to 'experiment'. We owe those people a duty of protection too.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Albert beats me to it.

Hypothetical or not, playing with microwave oven transformers is deadly. You may have no intentions of doing this but we do not want others to get any ideas. You have received valid answers above. This discussion has come to an end.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
This chart might give you an idea of how likely you are to suffer and to what degree if you become a victim of accidental contact. Consider that you might get across 1500V or double that.

upload_2017-2-27_21-59-25.png

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
When you need to ask the question, it means that the dangerous risk following with you, all other members given you the advice because they knowing the dangerous, so if you want to playing the high voltage power or things, please ignore the transformer of microwave, when you got more experience and then probably you can try it, before the day coming, please try some others.

I have to deal with the high voltage from 40 years ago, I have to but I never like it, because I know the risk and the dangerous could be happens any moment, what I mentioned that the high voltage are around 500V~ 50KV, although I didn't design it or build it, but sometimes I have to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.