High Voltage Cable Datasheet Understanding

Øivind Bakke

Joined Aug 22, 2017
Greetings,

I've currently been given the task of buying a couple of high voltage cables for our high voltage lab. I've been calling a couple of cable manufacturers with the specific question: can a 600V/1000V (U_0/U) be used for 1200V DC in a high voltage lab? The only answer I've been getting is a quotation of the data sheet. The problem is that I find the data sheet description a bit vague and therefore I can't be sure whether or not it'll work. Seems like the people I've been talking to at the manufacturing company are having the same problem, since I can't get a definite yes or no.

Therefore I am hoping someone here can give me a definite answer and also some clearance when it comes to the data sheet. The question is as follows:
I need a cable for 1200V DC for general lab usage and a 1200V DC ground cable. How can I determine whether or not a certain cable will work or not?

Many thanks in advance!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You can tell whether a give ncable is suitable for your use by comparing the application with the manufacturer's specifications.

It is best not to exceed the manufacturer's insulation breakdown voltage rating. Yes, cables are designed to have margin so that yields will be high and field failures will be low, but when you intentionally exceed a manufacturer's rating you are asking for a greater chance to have problems.

Øivind Bakke

Joined Aug 22, 2017
Hi,
that's what I find somewhat difficult, because they provide two different voltages U_0 and U. These two values is based on AC appliance and should be multiplied by 1.5 for DC appliance. But which one of the two voltages is relevant when the cable will be applied as a ground cable, and which one for general lab usage?