High voltage test for refrigerator

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Dear all,
A refrigerator company have LG 1800 electrical safety test equipment on hand. The company want me to setup and start this equipment. So far we have conducted continuity, ground, leakage current and insulation test. But I am afraid if I can test high voltage too since the refrigerator have a capacitor which may not stand the testing default voltage 1000v and above. And I want also to know what electrical safety test a home appliance refrigerator should pass

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
High there!
The high voltage AC test uses no more than 3 mili amps at 5,500VAC . & 4 milliamp at 6,000VDC . That's Short circuit current. Don't worry.;)
The internationally valid IEC EN UL J GOST etc. Standard 60335-1 and 60335-2-24, in
connection also with IEC EN 60204-1 require a group of safety test on refrigerators.
Following safety tests are required for each model of household refrigerators and freezers. A
refrigerator manufacturer has to proof that his production keeps this safety standards at least
by sampling, but it is industrial standard to execute on each single refrigerator following tests,
at least the first 4 test
• Earth Wire Efficiency Test
• Insulation Resistance Test
• Voltage Test (Dielectric Strength)
• Power Test and Absorbed Currents
• Leakage Current Test
• Residual Voltage Test

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Thankyou Delta prime. So there is no need to worry about the capacitor maximum voltage being passed? So the capacitor dielectric will remain intact?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
So there is no need to worry about the capacitor maximum voltage being passed? So the capacitor dielectric will remain intact?
capacitor stores an electrical charge.Start capacitors terminals
If shorted will kick you across the room .When used with a motor the capacitor releases its stored charge in a surge in order to start the motor turning. In this role, it is referred to as a start capacitor.
The capacitor provides a small phase shift that allows the motor to develop a starting torque. Without this phase shift, single phase motors have no net starting torque.The test you will be conducting using LG 1800 is engineered to electrically isolate you and the unit under test
You and the capacitor will be perfectly safe. ;)

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
During safety type testing of such appliances, the high voltage is applied for 1 minute, but to avoid overstressing the insulation in a production/verification role, the test time need only be 2 seconds.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
[QUOTE="Tinsae, post: 1518820, member: 259839 is there any difference between lg 1800 and lg 1800b? mine is lg 1800.
[/QUOTE]

Yes: 1800B comes with a
internally clock / calendar.
1800 doesn't. :p

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
During safety type testing of such appliances, the high voltage is applied for 1 minute, but to avoid overstressing the insulation in a production/verification role, the test time need only be 2 seconds.
Yes that was what I afraid. Because some electronics component can be damaged by just touching them momentarly. Perhaps appliance shouls have a means to handle such voltage spikes.