Doubt : High electric perfomance due to 4Kv test voltage

nbaptista

Joined Aug 21, 2014
Hi all,
I have a power cord that specifications are these: High electrical performance due to 4Kv test voltage . What these means?Anyone helps me?The power cord is to connect my Densen B 110 stereo amplifier!
Kv- Kilovolts

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Usually means that the insulation is rated for 4Kv, why you would need that on a 120v stereo I am not sure?
Usually power cords are rated 600v max.
Do not apply 4kv to it!!. :p
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Operating voltage is up to 500v or 750v depending on the gauge specified, tested at 4kv.
Probably just makes it for gauge size for what you need.
What is the current consumption of the amp.?
Max.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Still it the current consumption of the power input will not be greater than say 3 times more, which is 180W, or 0.78A at 230V.

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
As posted earlier, the rating refers to the insulation. Typically, in a manufacturing environment, this is often called a hi-pot test; in the field meggers are used for similar testing. There is a general rule of thumb regarding the acceptable limits at a given operating voltage but that's going a bit over the top in this case. (In other words, the insulation is more than adequate.)

The voltage is OK. Current is the question. as per kubeek's post, it's not much. I'm not familiar with your country's appliance wiring standards. Hopefully someone familiar with such can give you guidance as far as the gauge (size of conductor area).

Last edited:

faley

Joined Aug 30, 2014
It is 3 conductors*1,5 mm2(3*1,5 mm2). Is more than enough!
The current rating is probably OK (based on the information provided) but personally, given the voltage, for safety's sake, I'd rather see you go at least 2,08- to reduce the possibility of shearing or other such damage, among other things. Again, I'm not familiar with your country's electrical codes. If no one with such knowledge responds on this forum, I suggest you consult a local repair shop for guidance.

Last edited: