High voltage, Low power supply reference design

mmuj

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi

I have to design a power supply as a part of a bigger system but I have no experience of high voltage power supply design.

I am looking for a reference design for high voltage low/medium power, isolated power supply.

Requirement specs are

VIN Range = 150V to 650V, 50/60Hz, 400Hz is an optional

VOUT = any thing between 24V and 48V

Output Power = 50W

Thanks and Regards,

M Mujahid

Hi

I have to design a power supply as a part of a bigger system but I have no experience of high voltage power supply design.

I am looking for a reference design for high voltage low/medium power, isolated power supply.

Requirement specs are

VIN Range = 150V to 650V, 50/60Hz, 400Hz is an optional

VOUT = any thing between 24V and 48V

Output Power = 50W

Thanks and Regards,

M Mujahid

A power supply is design to provide large output voltage at low current. Your output can be regulated using the variable resistor on outside of the box.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Looks like you found it. An input voltage of 920 Vpeak is unusual. It will limit your selection of input side components and increase the difficulty of designing the transformer. But other than that it is a 50 W converter, and there are plenty of designs on the innergoogle. Know in advance that the transformer will be 80-90% of the total project effort.

Don't know what your efficiency, schedule, or budget limits are, but you might consider a hybrid approach. If you can find an off-the-shelf high voltage down-converter that has the safety certifications you need but the wrong output voltage, a secondary stage that is a non-isolated boost or buck to get the output you need can take a fraction of the design effort. Bigger, less efficient, more expensive, but a few weeks instead of a few months.

ak