High voltage, high power circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rentiantong123

Joined Mar 29, 2014
Hi, every one.
Is there any circuit of high power amplifier which can amplify 24V car battery to 2000V-3000V, working around 4000w? (Very short time period usage)
Either product on market or design plan helps!
Anyone familiar with high power circuit design please help me.

Thank you!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In this application it is not called amplification. We amplify signals, but we convert power. To convert power from a low voltage high current source to a high voltage low current source we employ one of a small number of toplogies to accomplish this. These circuits are all non-linear and have the following feature in common:
Code:
POWER OUT is strictly less than POWER IN
To answer you question
3000 Volts at 4000 Watts requires 1.333 Amperes
24 Volts at 4000 Watts requires approximately 167 Amperes
BUT since no conversion process is 100% efficient we need to increase that to say 210 Amperes.
You do not want to be and probably cannot handle such high currents. They can and will vaporize your wires, or at least the insulation.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
you dont want to handle those hogh voltage wires, without some safety training. there might be some power supplies available for ham radio power amplifiers, they made some for mobiles using 12 volts. maybe even some dynamoters for airborn useage in ww2 vintage surpluss.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I have no idea what you're planning but it's very dangerous to design/operate power supplies in that output range as you usually don't get a second chance if it can deliver stable power for more than a very short pulse. I would use an inverter to generate normal utility 220 VAC voltages so a commercial unit could be used.

A continuous duty supply.
http://www.glassmanhv.com/ByWattage/lk_series.shtml#Models

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If it was me I would stat with a suitably sized power inverter followed bytwo large microwave oven transformers with their secondaries in series .

Easy to build 2 - 3KV power source from common parts. ;)

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The fact that you are having to post your question suggests that you have little practical experience of high voltage circuits and their hazards. Your project could prove LETHAL :eek:. What load requiring 4kW will you be using.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi, every one.
Is there any circuit of high power amplifier which can amplify 24V car battery to 2000V-3000V, working around 4000w? (Very short time period usage)
Either product on market or design plan helps!
Anyone familiar with high power circuit design please help me.

Thank you!
If you want to fire a microwave oven magnetron at radar trop cops - I don't reccomend it.

Besides, the heater takes a while to warm up.

rentiantong123

Joined Mar 29, 2014
In this application it is not called amplification. We amplify signals, but we convert power. To convert power from a low voltage high current source to a high voltage low current source we employ one of a small number of toplogies to accomplish this. These circuits are all non-linear and have the following feature in common:
Code:
POWER OUT is strictly less than POWER IN
To answer you question
3000 Volts at 4000 Watts requires 1.333 Amperes
24 Volts at 4000 Watts requires approximately 167 Amperes
BUT since no conversion process is 100% efficient we need to increase that to say 210 Amperes.
You do not want to be and probably cannot handle such high currents. They can and will vaporize your wires, or at least the insulation.
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I am trying to lower the power now.

rentiantong123

Joined Mar 29, 2014
you dont want to handle those hogh voltage wires, without some safety training. there might be some power supplies available for ham radio power amplifiers, they made some for mobiles using 12 volts. maybe even some dynamoters for airborn useage in ww2 vintage surpluss.
Thanks for your reply.:)
I think a inverter is what I need now.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
What is the purpose of this project? You really need to provide more detail, though honestly I don't see this happening. It's dangerous and will probably not work (As mentioned, it'll likely fry your cables, and quite possibly yourself).

rentiantong123

Joined Mar 29, 2014
I have no idea what you're planning but it's very dangerous to design/operate power supplies in that output range as you usually don't get a second chance if it can deliver stable power for more than a very short pulse. I would use an inverter to generate normal utility 220 VAC voltages so a commercial unit could be used.

A continuous duty supply.
http://www.glassmanhv.com/ByWattage/lk_series.shtml#Models
Thanks for your reply.
I am building a charging circuit for a huge capacitor used for MRI.
High voltage voltage is what I need and high power is for quick charging.
I think a inverter and amplifiers is what I need.:)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for your reply.
I am building a charging circuit for a huge capacitor used for MRI.
High voltage voltage is what I need and high power is for quick charging.
I think a inverter and amplifiers is what I need.:)
An amplifier is NOT what you need. Read the replies.

Why do you need to charge a huge capacitor? Is this some sort of EMP gun?

rentiantong123

Joined Mar 29, 2014
Please define "(Very short time period usage)".
Thanks for your reply.
I put two 12V car battery in series.:)
What I am doing is building a charging circuit for a huge capacitor. The power in capacitor will be used for MRI.
I need voltage as high as 2000V-3000V for my antenna and high power is for high speed charging.

rentiantong123

Joined Mar 29, 2014
If it was me I would stat with a suitably sized power inverter followed bytwo large microwave oven transformers with their secondaries in series .

Easy to build 2 - 3KV power source from common parts. ;)
Thanks for your reply.:)
This is the best plan I have now.
I may still need to consider power problems.

rentiantong123

Joined Mar 29, 2014
The fact that you are having to post your question suggests that you have little practical experience of high voltage circuits and their hazards. Your project could prove LETHAL :eek:. What load requiring 4kW will you be using.
Thanks for your concern.
I don't have any experience of high power design. That's why a commercial solution is better for me.
The 4kW power source will be used for charging up a 2000V-3000V huge capacitor used for MRI. So it will work for probably few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.