High Speed Op Amp Query

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I would put availability at the top of the list, if you can't get it it is vaporware. Cost is important.

As for stone age, I can drive less than 2 miles and pick up a 741, 1558, a LM324, or even a TL082. This is more important than how old a part is.

Rating count, but they are far from being the only thing.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I like the LT1115. They are expensive I have to admit. The most important thing for me as a hobbyist is that I can get that part without order 200 units as a minimum.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
For this forum, wide availability, low cost, and decent performance are some important criteria.

Sure, there are better and more modern opamps than what were mentioned, but when you start getting into cutting-edge designs, they get obsolete pretty quickly as the latest & greatest designs come out.

Hobbyists can get a lot of mileage out of general purpose opamps, even if they aren't rail to rail with 100MHz bandwidth.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
NJR (New Japan Radio) company copied the TL072 dual audio opamp from Texas Instruments but made it better with a higher full output frequency. It oscillated all the time so they quickly replaced it with a lower frequency one. Then they removed the warning about the defective one.

I think a TL07x produces perfect sound. Its distortion is only 0.003% and some people can hear as much as 0.1% distortion. The OPAx134 is much better (?) with distortion of only 0.00008%.
The TL07x has a full output frequency response to 100kHz which is much better than the 9kHz of a 741 opamp, and much better than the 2kHz of an LM358 or LM324 opamp.

The LM358 and LM324 are the first low power opamps so their output transistors do not have enough current and produce 3% crossover distortion.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The LM358 and LM324 are the first low power opamps so their output transistors do not have enough current and produce 3% crossover distortion.
What about the LP324. That was really bad. The LM324 has a place in my heart. For over 20 years ago it was an important building block for me. Cheap, single supply, and available.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Digi-key makes this a lot easier, since they list the specs across the row.

Personally I like the the LM324 too, but I also haven't meet too many op amps I didn't like.

I'd like to thank AudioGuru for the distortion numbers. They aren't official, but they do help point what applications a audio project might need.