High School

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello,

I want to compare high school here in the philippines to your countries.

here, at high school, we start the first year, freshman, at the age of about 12 or 13.

science lab is very rare, and if have, very rare used.;)My brother study at different school, but closer to my school. They have no science lab. In my school, we have but we have never ever used it so far.;)

In our lab, we have microscopes, beakers, Erlenmyer marsk or whatever is it, glass wares, voltmeter yeah yeah.:D But sadly, we cannot use them without teacher's approval. and if you ask his/her permission, he/she will replied I guess : "It is not our science time and you can only use those things if you go to 4th year or so."

How sad is this???????We don't even have any chemical to experiment with. That's sad for me...

So, in your country, is the same phenomena:D being applied?

Sad Catapult:(

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
That's what it was like in middle school (age 11-14ish)
In high school (14-18) chemistry we have a great teacher and we always use the equipment and chemicals to do labs and experiments and such.

Maybe if you approached your teacher with a specific use or need for the equipment they might be more willing to let you use it.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I went to a vocational - technical high school, abeit a long time ago, we started at the 10 grade, about age 14-15. Since that time, they added the ninth grade (freshman) where they spent three months at a major to decide on what they wanted to do. I only know this since my cousin, also a while back, went to the same school.

When I went there, we had radio/tv repair, electronics engineering, plumbing, carpentary, auto mechanics, auto body, beauty culture, dental assistants, medical assistants, practical nursing, culinary arts, graphic artists, child care, civil engineering, and I'm sure a few I forgot. Chemistry, drafting, social studies, english, and the normal classes rounded out the class day after three periods of nothing but your major.

I visited the place about 5 years after I graduated, I noticed they added avionics. One can only imagine what they have now. Well, you can visit my alma mater at http://www.nccvotech.com/hs_dc.htm During the senior year, we could go to school two weeks and the following two weeks we would be working in the major. I worked at a radio station doing maintenance my junior and senior year. No, I didn't get the two week rotation my junior year. LOL.

It was dangerous walking down the halls as the nurses and medical assistants always seem to need someone to practice drawing blood. :D

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Pretty much the same with the OP here. The existence of the lab is the exception, not the rule.

Oh, and it's a physics/chemistry lab, not electronics one.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
when I went to high school in Canada (70'-74'), we had biology/chemistry/physics. Labs made up about 50% of the course time, wieghting more towards end of terms. Lots of hands on with disections, reactions, modeling, etc.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
If I approach my teacher to let me use them even for sensible uses, she will not let me so. :(

Even in college, you can not use any chemicals without the professor's permission. :(

generally, if you have to use the lab, you can but the chemicals is in limited amount and of course with the permission of the professor.

freshman don't use the lab for experiment but for discussion :(... good thing our teacher teaches us chemistry, physics, and biology i guesss this year so there's a little chance that we will use the lab.!

Catapult

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
When I was at high school (age 11+) we did chemistry, physics and biology experiments. The labs had everything we needed, but of course only in lessons, and we were told which experiments to do. It would be dangerous and would not help most students learn if it was just a free for all, with people setting fire to things and mixing random chemicals together to see what happens.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
When I was at high school (age 11+) we did chemistry, physics and biology experiments. The labs had everything we needed, but of course only in lessons, and we were told which experiments to do. It would be dangerous and would not help most students learn if it was just a free for all, with people setting fire to things and mixing random chemicals together to see what happens.
Very the same.:D

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
In the US you have some schools that could pass for colleges, and others that would pass for prisons. I went to one of the best public HS's in the country. We had everything, great lab, great everything. We were allowed to work with Hydrochlroic Acid in 6th grade. This was 20 years ago though. Now in our city their giving all the kids ipads claiming they won't need books. Its really the dumbest most corrupt thing I've ever seen. Some schools here can't afford enough teachers and the rich public schools are giving their students all ipads.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
in our school all the highschoolers and middleschoolers (grades 7&up) got netbooks, which are basically tiny little laptops.
We got a technology grant for it or something. I love it because I can get on the internet whenever I want. (with a firewall of course)
We've also had large touchscreen projectors (SMART boards) in every room for the last 7 years
I really love all the technology, We have the best school in the county, one of the best in the state, and they opened it up so that anyone who wants to transfer here can without any fee.
The netbooks are school property of course.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It just doesn't sound right...

"Ok, kids, please turn to the address www.todayslesson.edu"

Call me old fashioned, but I don't think this will work.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Work it does, they've been using a computer program to teach math for a few years now. (they still have a teacher, but the teacher just supervises and steps in when someone is struggling with something)
I'm very glad I don't have to do that program, since I'm in calculus.

(on an off note, I might be leaving the normal AP calculus class and doing one-on-one with the old calculus teacher, since I'm usually ahead of the class just by thinking through stuff during class. Apparently it's not normal to look at an equation and it's derivative and know that all you're doing is multiplying by the exponents and reducing them all by 1 :/)

We still get textbooks, thank goodness, but they're moving more towards making them online books.
I prefer a physical book, as do most of my classmates, and we're not about to let them take them away. We will protest. The computers are just a very useful supplement.

Last edited:

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
In the Philippines, we don't use any of the modern technology items. :( We just learn by reading in a physical book, and by a teacher who uses white board to teach.

Also, high school here in the Philippines starts at thirteen years old (usually) up to sixteen years old (fourth year). Then you may now go to college and take the course you want. I am still hoping that the sixth year will be implemented here in the high school.

Sad Catapult

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I'm cool with netbooks and laptops, but ipads. Thats just plain useless. What do the kids have to buy $200 BT keyboards to type? Do they have to copy all their work to a real computer to then print it. What about all the software available to Win and Linux users over iOS. The ipad thing just stinks of kickbacks and corruption.