High Power Resistor?

AKnogood

Joined Nov 21, 2013
I'm trying to fix a 5 years old dishwasher board that burned. One electrolytic capacitor dried out so I'm replacing all of them on the board (5) but there's also a resistor which I think is a high power resistor that I would need to replace. How can I know what value it was since it burned?

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is it open? Put an Ohmmeter between the ends.

I am guessing that it will be low Ohms, (<100). It looks to be a 1W power resistor.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I removed the resistor from the board and the Ohmmeter shows 42K. Is it reliable even though the resistor burned?
Not likely. The first color band appears to be brown, so it would be either a 0.1xxΩ, 1.xxΩ, 1x.xΩ, or maybe 1xx.xΩ

You will have to get a schematic from the maker, or trace out the power supply section.

Begs the question, what caused it to overheat in the first place? The resistor is there to limit current; something elsewhere is drawing too much current; that smoked the resistor. You will have to also find the root cause;not just replace a resistor...

AKnogood

Joined Nov 21, 2013
I was able to find a picture of the electronic board. The resistor is located on the bottom right (R189). I think the bands are orange - brown - black (31ohm), what do you think?

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
No! Note the slot in the board under R189 and V1. This is usually done when there is a high voltage between two tracks or that extra safety isolation is required.

What I would do is to try and trace out the circuit in this area by following the tracks and find out what this component actually does. Looking at your photo it looks like this resistor is in series with C177. Is this capacitor good. Might have gone short-circuit. But there might be more tracks that we can't see. So check carefully. Report back when you know more.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
This is usually done when there is a high voltage between two tracks or that extra safety isolation is required.
Well spotted.

As a result make sure there are no sharp bits when you resolder the new one in and keep it slightly raised off the board.

Yes I agree from mike's photo, 11 ohms.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
11 ohm is not a typical value, so my guess would be brown-red-black that gives a standard 12 ohms. Or it could be red-red-black that gives 22 ohms.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'd remove it from the board and take a look at the other side. It might not have gotten quite as hot.

It looks more red to me than brown.