High current pulsed circuit

Rodocabrera

Joined May 4, 2016
i need to power with high current (50 A) a coil which has 0,122H and 0,85 ohm to reach 0,5T inside the air core using a frequency < 150 Hz.

Power needed is too high (@ 3KW) and I would like to find a resonant circuit to reduce power consumption. I found some ideas with SRC and Serbia rlc but I don't have a clear idea about the solution.

Thanks!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Sorry to bring bad news but the coil resistance of 0.85Ω will dissipate 2125W (I²R) all by itself at 50A, so that's the bare minimum of power the circuit will require.
A resonant circuit will reduce the required drive power over a non-resonant circuit but it can't reduce the power required to drive the coil below that minimum
The only way to reduce the power further is to reduce the coil resistance.

The coil itself will likely burn up in short order at that current unless it's immersed in a cooling liquid.

Rodocabrera

Joined May 4, 2016
Can the diameter of the coil be reduced?

Can frequency be changed?

Any prospect of a core media?
WE can use another frecuency. The diameter is a restriction to pump enough fluid into it.
The core media will be a GRE pipe or SS pipe so far.

If we consider pulsed current can we cut the power needed according I2R?

For that coil I consider a AWG 5-6 to support that current. What would be the coil temperature if I don't use a cooler?

Thanks!

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Sounds like a propellent system to me.

150 Hz implies a continuous drive signal rather than an isolated pulse. If so, is it a 50% duty cycle square wave? If so, there is a lot of energy in the harmonics that a resonant coil won't use. I think the problem needs better definition. Block diagram? Schematic?

ak

Rodocabrera

Joined May 4, 2016
Hi,

I need to produce a high magnetic field through a pipe coil which transport water and solids.

I understand that I will not be able to reduce total coil resistivity but I can balance the coil impedance with capacitors to make it more efficient.

Moreover, I would need to increase current just in the loop which the coil is located. Maybe 3 to 7 times more.

I understand I should have a sine wave pattern current to have resonance but if possible, I would like to found another way to reduce power consumption to load a coil with high current ( 10-70 amps).

I'm considering a duty cycle of 50% to reduce total energy consumption for each circuit and additional circuits to power more coils if needed.

Hope this helps. Thanks.