Help With Very Long Flight Time

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi again,

Thanks so much for all the replies this is really helping me because i like to be prepared.

In case no one else saw the question i have a thumb drive that is encased in metal all around. That means x ray can not see the circuitry inside while with a normal plastic drive it can. Think this would get rejected? IT's about 1 inch wide and 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick, and the entire case is metal not plastic.
No. Worst case, they may ask you to show them it works. Worst case.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
By the way, if you do get pulled aside, just chill. Be patient, let them do their job. It will be over soon. Be polite. Don’t ask questions. Just wait calmly.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi,

Actually one thing i wont need is a rental car. Just a taxi to the destination which is not a huge distance away although i dont know what a taxi gets for this yet going out of LAX. Thanks.

Yeah you don't want to drive in LA if you can avoid it. ;)

If you can take a light rail from LAX more the better. I have not had go into LA in eons but I imagine they have such a thing.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
No. Worst case, they may ask you to show them it works. Worst case.
I would carry it on you and put it the bin with your cell phone. It will likely get tagged by the people looking at your carry on (if that is where you have it) and then they will go through your bag looking for suspect object. Happened to me once

P.s. i am not american, so may be treated different, never know. I tend to have problems

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Once I was on a dive trip to Cozumel. When I traveled I would carry on my mask, snorkel and (BC) buoyancy compensator. I would check fins and some clothes.

I liked clipping my knife to my BC which I would remove after a dive. Well one time I forgot and unknowingly arrived at security with the knife still clipped to the BC.

Security instructed me I would need to check the knife. I had already checked my bag by I was told the airlines would place the knife in the box for me. I felt certain I would never see it again. After two flights in Cozumel, saw my bag with fins and clothes, shortly after (to my amazement) that tiny little box containing my knife! ;)

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

Do they have a Pre-Pre-check too haha.
I might do this though i need to be sure i can get through and get through with what little i intend to bring.
Thanks.
Really, it’s not a bad experience. To help assuage your concerns, read through this checklist. It lists those items with which you may have a problem.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Once I was on a dive trip to Cozumel. When I traveled I would carry on my mask, snorkel and (BC) buoyancy compensator. I would check fins and some clothes.

I liked clipping my knife to my BC which I would remove after a dive. Well one time I forgot and unknowingly arrived at security with the knife still clipped to the BC.

Security instructed me I would need to check the knife. I had already checked my bag by I was told the airlines would place the knife in the box for me. I felt certain I would never see it again. After two flights in Cozumel, saw my bag with fins and clothes, shortly after (to my amazement) that tiny little box containing my knife! ;)
Hi,

Oh neat story. I would not check any luggage because i dont want to have to worry about looking for it when i got there.
I had a problem ones many years ago going to Indiana i think it was, the luggage was sent to another air port and i had to wait two days to get the test equipment (luggage) to the place where i actually went. What a pain that was. Couldnt do anything until i had that luggage.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014

Hi,

Yeah i am going to check and double check to make sure i dont have anything like that on me. I actually have a small knife on my key chain but i expect to lessen the regular stuff on the chain too like extra keys.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

Do they have a Pre-Pre-check too haha.
I might do this though i need to be sure i can get through and get through with what little i intend to bring.
Thanks.
Yes, it's called a US BLACK passport. If you travel with a person with a US BLACK passport your US RED passport will usually get you a 'wave through' with their OK.

Pre-check is nice for busy vacation airports like entering and leaving Vegas with only carry-on stuff for a short trip.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes, it's called a US BLACK passport. If you travel with a person with a US BLACK passport your US RED passport will usually get you a 'wave through' with their OK.

Pre-check is nice for busy vacation airports like entering and leaving Vegas with only carry-on stuff for a short trip.

My passport is blue. Guess I am not important enough to get a red one. ;)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Once, pre-9/11 I was headed out for the first of the three flights that week with my electronics stuffed briefcase. Laptop, some tools, cables, etc. They wanted to check it after it went through x-ray. As I stood by, they dug through it throughly. When they are done, they were zipping it up and giving it back when I remembered something...

There was a 15-round magazine of Black Talon 9mm in the bag. They’d missed it.

I told them it was in there, and was very nervous that I’d at least end up losing it, which wasn’t a nice idea since it would be about a $60 loss, and I imagined possibly worse outcomes. Remember, I was past security.

The agent, not TSA, this was before that, said “no problem as long as the gun isn’t in there too!” We took it out, and they tagged it and sent it to baggage claim. On my way home, I claimed it, simple as that.

Today, I’d probably be in a windowless room instead of on my flight.

[Edited to change the magazine to 15 rounds, don’t want to be accused of exagerration!]

Last edited:

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
One of the last times I flew, the TSA agent told me he was going to perform a very personal body check of my groin area. He wasn't lying, felt me up real good.

I've over a million miles flying, most of it international. So flights of 9 to 13 hours mostly. I HATE flying. I get claustrophobic, and being a fairly big guy, the seats are very uncomfortable. No business class for me. After suffering for a few years I developed a plan that I don't recommend to anyone. I combine beer with Xanax until I am knocked out. Wake with a few more hours to go? More Xanax. While I take "baby Xanax", this approach may be unwise, but I've done it for years without problem. Might be a bit groggy at the destination, so I have to be careful about not leaving something behind in the seatback.

But for a six hour flight I'd probably just wing it, especially if it is an early flight, and I have activities planned for that evening. Also, I should mention that my method is helpful for me to deal with jet lag. If you have a roughly 4 hour time difference, you will notice it, but it's not debilitating like US to Tokyo.

Lastly, airplanes have improved dramatically over say the last 5 years or so, and the personal entertainment systems on the seatback are pretty common. Even watching old episodes of Seinfeld is way better than crosswords and sudoku in the travel mag. In fact, the movie selections have been impressive IMO, recent releases and such.