Help With Very Long Flight Time

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
It is like a little tray. Doubt it will get damaged. Theft is far more likely so try to keep an eye on your belongings after it goes through the machine.
Hi,

Is that tray for only my belongings or do multiply people put there stuff in there?
I ask because if more than one person uses the same tray cell phones can get mixed up and grab the wrong one.
Also, do you have a view of this tray at al times or does it hide from sight sometimes?
Thanks.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Wow lots and lots of replies, thanks so much to everyone here so kind! I hate travel to begin with so this is very hard for me.
I'll try to reply to all the replies.

That was actually my first thought, but when i found out how long it was i didnt think it was good. But now that you mention it i have to reconsider esp since i found out that security on flights is so difficult and i would not be able to take much with me.

But what is a "roomette" dont think i've heard of that before? Thanks.
On certain airlines, on certain flights, “roomette”s are offered. They have a large amount of space, seats that recline fully into beds, half-walls separating you from other passengers, upgraded service and a cost equal to several months of mortgage payments.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

Is that tray for only my belongings or do multiply people put there stuff in there?
I ask because if more than one person uses the same tray cell phones can get mixed up and grab the wrong one.
Also, do you have a view of this tray at al times or does it hide from sight sometimes?
Thanks.
No worries. Each person gets as many trays as they need for themselves. No one grabbing your cell phone by mistake.

You can’t see it when it goes through the X-Ray machine, but nobody has access to it there. And the entry and exit from the machine is covered in clear plexiglass, so no one can grab anything and you can watch your “stuff”.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I travel light, depends on how long I stay, me and the wife fly when the distance is longer than 2 hrs. I wear loose fitting clothing and a light jacket, a pair of socks with slip on shoes or flip-flops. No carry on, when I arrive I purchase my clothing, you can do a bird bath in the airport, then the cloths I'm wearing gets put in a bag from the purchase I made at a department store. I leave key's at home, usually they are in a lock box combo hidden away in a place of my choosing. Now you need ID, take a small belt pouch that can be easily removed at the TSA line up.

Purchasing a ticket online and presenting it after you've gone to the kiosk and printed it. No lines just the TSA, go through the check out have your ID ready, now it's time to put your pouch through the x-ray and go through scanner or if they pull you out of line raise your arms for the agent to wand you. Pass round the x-ray to the opposite side and pick up your belongings, iPad, Phone, pouch shoes, Done.

Now go shopping rent a car, wash as I said above, now it's time to leave take cloths you intended on leaving e.g. shoes what ever to used cloths store, donate them. Climb back into the rental car take it back to the airport or wherever. Get your bordering pass at the kiosk rinse and repeat.

kv
Hi,

Actually one thing i wont need is a rental car. Just a taxi to the destination which is not a huge distance away although i dont know what a taxi gets for this yet going out of LAX. Thanks.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
No worries. Each person gets as many trays as they need for themselves. No one grabbing your cell phone by mistake.
Hi,

Oh wow that's good to know thanks. I wasnt sure if it was like a supermarket or something ha ha where everyone's stuff comes down the conveyor belt and sometimes gets mixed together unless you put one of those little divider things between. Good to know thanks.
I guess it makes me a little insecure to fly in the first place seeing i was on an airline from Canada to Boston and it almost crashed because we lost an engine.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

Oh wow that's good to know thanks. I wasnt sure if it was like a supermarket or something ha ha where everyone's stuff comes down the conveyor belt and sometimes gets mixed together unless you put one of those little divider things between. Good to know thanks.
I guess it makes me a little insecure to fly in the first place seeing i was on an airline from Canada to Boston and it almost crashed because we lost an engine.
I updated my post with additional details that should increase your comfort level.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
+1 for TSA precheck. You have to sign up with background check and personal interview but you bypass the most intrusive screenings and can stay dressed. Faster too. $100 for 5years IIRC.
Hi and thanks,

So where do you have to go to get this TSA pre check? At the airport too or can you go some place closer to home?

Thanks really.

You can’t see it when it goes through the X-Ray machine, but nobody has access to it there. And the entry and exit from the machine is covered in clear plexiglass, so no one can grab anything and you can watch your “stuff”.
+1 on not worrying too much about something getting stolen. You can keep your eye on your bin(s)...

and you are talking about a place that likely has every square foot covered by cameras. Not saying it is impossible, just not something to worry about.

The greater concern is that you leave stuff behind - (as has been mentioned by @djsfantasi) because of the hustle and bustle all around. I usually slow down, put my shoes/belt back on and take a moment to check everything - getting there early adds time to the trip but having to rush causes problems also. Still, people end up leaving stuff, see https://www.rd.com/advice/travel/craziest-things-left-behind-at-airports/

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I tend to be the kind of person that does not like to get out of my seat on a plane once I'm in it. In fact, I have never once been in an airline lavatory.

The flights that really pushed this were when I flew to Taiwan and back. The flight from Detroit to Narita was 14 hours and I didn't get out of the seat once in either direction. Not the best thing, given the potential for deep vein thrombosis, but it is what it is. Sadly, I also have a real hard time sleeping in a seated position, so I got very little sleep. I spent a fair amount of that time switching between working sudoku puzzles, reading a novel, or coming up with math problems and trying to work them out. I'd also spend time just leaning back with my eyes closed and trying to relax. Since I have absolutely no fear of flying, that's pretty easy for me to do on a plane -- other people aren't so fortunate.
Hi and thanks,

I think i am the same way about not wanting to get out of my seat but may stand up for a stretch.
I hate flying because i was on a flight into Boston that almost crashed because we lost an engine and it was totally totally nuts.
The plane was swinging wildly back and forth like a kid in a rocking crib. Nuts.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
On certain airlines, on certain flights, “roomette”s are offered. They have a large amount of space, seats that recline fully into beds, half-walls separating you from other passengers, upgraded service and a cost equal to several months of mortgage payments.
Hi,

Oh i thought he was talking about a "roomette" on a train.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
+1 on not worrying too much about something getting stolen. You can keep your eye on your bin(s)...

and you are talking about a place that likely has every square foot covered by cameras. Not saying it is impossible, just not something to worry about.

The greater concern is that you leave stuff behind - (as has been mentioned by @djsfantasi) because of the hustle and bustle all around. I usually slow down, put my shoes/belt back on and take a moment to check everything - getting there early adds time to the trip but having to rush causes problems also. Still, people end up leaving stuff, see https://www.rd.com/advice/travel/craziest-things-left-behind-at-airports/

Hi,

Oh that is nice to see a picture of what it might look like. I see the bins now, they seem to have more than enough room for what i would bring.
I was just going to bring a cell phone in it's belt case. The belt case is bigger than the phone though, so i guess i would put that in the bin too and maybe cell phone out of the case in the bin.

Is that a jacket in that first bin? I was wondering, due to the time of year i would have ot have a jacket too and where does that go.

Thanks for the pic, that helps a lot to know what to expect.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

Oh that is nice to see a picture of what it might look like. I see the bins now, they seem to have more than enough room for what i would bring.
I was just going to bring a cell phone in it's belt case. The belt case is bigger than the phone though, so i guess i would put that in the bin too and maybe cell phone out of the case in the bin.

Is that a jacket in that first bin? I was wondering, due to the time of year i would have ot have a jacket too and where does that go.

Thanks for the pic, that helps a lot to know what to expect.
Jackets go in a bin

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Yes, it can be significantly cheaper. For me, a cab to Logan is $70; Uber is half that, at $35
Hi,

Wow that is cheaper i guess i have to look into that.
How do you get a ride then, can you call them or have to download a cell phone app?
I hate downloading 'apps' because they could mess up the phone but will still consider it.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Jackets go in a bin
Oh ok thanks

All these little details are so great because i am one who likes to be prepared so i dont get too many surprises.

Maybe one more though, i have a little USB thumb drive, but it is not the typical type it is encased in metal. The whole thing, top to bottom, is covered in a metal jacket. Is that a problem you think because they probably cant see the circuitry inside?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
More re: Uber/Lyft

Be careful when using these services. I take them to the airport, but take a taxi home. That’s because Logan Airpirt restricts where they can pick you up. It’s a long walk with luggage to get to the ride services pickup area. I don’t know about other airports.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi again,

Thanks so much for all the replies this is really helping me because i like to be prepared.

In case no one else saw the question i have a thumb drive that is encased in metal all around. That means x ray can not see the circuitry inside while with a normal plastic drive it can. Think this would get rejected? IT's about 1 inch wide and 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick, and the entire case is metal not plastic.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

Wow that is cheaper i guess i have to look into that.
How do you get a ride then, can you call them or have to download a cell phone app?
I hate downloading 'apps' because they could mess up the phone but will still consider it.
You download an app. It’s very reliable, so don’t worry about it “messing” anything up.

You type in the destination into the app and a car comes to pick you up. Simple. When I set up the account, I entered a credit card (that I only use for travel). So after the ride you don’t have to pay anything. It will send you a link and you click on a button for a tip. Easy, smeasy! Done.