Help with TOSHIBA 74HCT258AP

MorrAndSo

Joined May 24, 2017
Can someone help me with this little project?

I just started in electronics and I need help with this:

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/15576/PHILIPS/74HCT258.html

So i have the folowing components:

4x red LEDs (and 3 green LEDs for backup)
2x two-position buttons
1x 74HCT258AP multiplexor
4x 400 ohms rezistors

Morr_parts.jpg

Please help me make it work on my breadboard:

Morr_breadboard.jpg

I also have a peper scheme if u can help show me how to put the componets on the breadboard.

Morr_drawing.jpg

I don't know if the scheme is correct and if u don't think its good then please give me a better ideea.

The multiplexor should have 4 LEDs light-up.

I have to show it works for my project

Moderators note : merged images to reduce bandwith

Last edited by a moderator:

MorrAndSo

Joined May 24, 2017
Welcome to AAC!

Is this homework?
Well its a project for school.....I just can't get my head around how it works. Espacially those S(selector) and OE (output enable). If you can show me a functional circuit on a breadboard you would be a GOD!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Well its a project for school.....I just can't get my head around how it works. Espacially those S(selector) and OE (output enable).
This table shows functionality:
upload_2017-5-24_10-59-27.png
G# is the output; it's LOW active. When it's HIGH, the outputs are tri-stated.

A#/B selects either the A (LOW) or B (HIGH) inputs to the mux. The inputs are inverted at the outputs.

MorrAndSo

Joined May 24, 2017
This table shows functionality:
View attachment 127484
G# is the output; it's LOW active. When it's HIGH, the outputs are tri-stated.

A#/B selects either the A (LOW) or B (HIGH) inputs to the mux. The inputs are inverted at the outputs.
I see.....its just that I can't make it work on my breadboard.......I don't know how the wireing woks with this component. Can you show me? Please! On a breadboard

MorrAndSo

Joined May 24, 2017
Here
What is it that you don't understand? How the breadboard connects things or how to wire the components?
Those exact 2 things that you mentioned give me problems "How the breadboard connects things and how to wire the components". Especially the S and OE pins.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The breadboard has a couple of lines that are connected.
Read the attached PDF for more info on the breadboard internal connections.

Bertus

Attachments

MorrAndSo

Joined May 24, 2017
Hello,

The breadboard has a couple of lines that are connected.
Read the attached PDF for more info on the breadboard internal connections.

Bertus
I know this. But how do I make it work with this component in particular is my question. What is the deal with OE and S and where do I connect 1I0 1I1, 2I0 2I1, 3I0 3I1, 4I0 4I1 and 1Y, 2Y, 3Y, 4Y.

How do I wire the components pins on the breadboard with the LEDs so that it will work?

MorrAndSo

Joined May 24, 2017
Ok. Tomorow, I will show you what I made on my breadboard and put further questions then. Thanks for the help guys!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The nl0 and nl1 are routed using the S input to exit at nY\
The signal can only exit the chip when OE\ is low
(see the table next to the drawing)

Bertus

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But how do I make it work with this component in particular is my question. What is the deal with OE and S and where do I connect 1I0 1I1, 2I0 2I1, 3I0 3I1, 4I0 4I1 and 1Y, 2Y, 3Y, 4Y.
Perhaps if you explain why you're using a multiplexer, we could help.

Since this is a school project, we won't do the work for you. It would be unfair to you and your classmates.

We have told you how the mux and breadboards work. If you post the complete wording of the problem/project, we can determine what the learning objective is and avoid helping you cheat.