Help with replacement part - Repairing old electronic game

DaveOfOld

Joined Aug 19, 2022
Hi All,

I'm repairing a couple of old Grandstand Astro Wars games. I'm following the diagnosis approach from a couple of places (this Youtube video and some of threads on this forum, e.g. here and here). The first unit was a faulty D882 transistor and that fires up fine now after replacement.

The second unit (my actual original from when I was a kid) appears to have the faulty zener diode issue mentioned in those forum threads with a good replacement apparently being a 1N5275B zener diode. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be easily available anymore so I'm looking for an alternative.

The specs for the 1N5275B are here (on Mouser) and the nearest thing I can find is here (on RS) but there are differences, and I don't know how significant they are.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

1N5275B is 140V ½W zener diode. This seems a bit high voltage for an electronic game.
Can you provide circumstantial evidence why you think this is the correct part number?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Welcome to AAC!

1N5275B is 140V ½W zener diode. This seems a bit high voltage for an electronic game.
Can you provide circumstantial evidence why you think this is the correct part number?
It does, but this is the quote from the thread mentioned above:
" For what it's worth, I fixed one of these with the exact same issue by replacing S06. I used a 1N5275B though. "
When you read earlier in that thread there is a mains driven, regulated, 140v feed to a vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) so it sort of makes sense.

DaveOfOld

Joined Aug 19, 2022
Thanks for all your help @MrChips @Irving @dl324 , and for making me feel very welcome.

As Irving referenced, I was following the previous forum post as far as the spec of the part needed, and it was apparently successful.

@MrChips I was wondering about connecting in series but didn't know if it would work or what parts I'd need so that's perfect, thank you. I'll get some of the 1W ordered from Farnell. It's 30 odd years since this thing last ran so would be great to see it going again.

All the best.

DaveOfOld

Joined Aug 19, 2022
Hey,

I just wanted to come back to say the help I got here got my old game fixed and working. I followed the advice on using two 1N4760 68V zener diodes in series and it worked perfectly. I showed it to my Mum (who plugged the wrong adapter in the first place) and she had another go :)

So thanks all, I appreciate your help!

All the best,

Dave.