Help with prototype designing

Talco88

Joined May 3, 2021
Hello everyone,
I am interested in carrying out a small technological project and before starting it I want to make sure it is possible,
I will refrain from specific details about the project's purpose because I may want to register it as a patent in the future, but if I miss important information please ask me and answer as best I can.
The essence of the project is measuring how many metal objects make contact with the main metal surface, and in case of removing one of the objects, to create a warning.
My question is if there is a sensor that I can attach to the metal surface that will sample the surface tension at any given moment and know how to detect objects that are placed on it, of course, the metal object placed on the surface will be connected to a device too (preferably powered by a small battery) that will give the electrical resistance that the sensor will detect, do you know a product that can help me build the project or at least a prototype, is there a possibility for such a project? do you think of a smarter way to accomplish this project?
Thank you very much for your time and sorry if my questions aren't accurate or professional, this is not my main occupation.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My personal opinion is that this one sounds like a loser. Just the mention of the word patent reveals that you are acting like an inventor, instead of like a businessman. You're just asking to get fleeced and taken advantage of. You'd be better off engaging in far riskier activities with more safety and greater potential for ROI.

"Ideas are worth less than a dime a bale, in 10-bale lots."
-- D. Lancaster

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello everyone,
I am interested in carrying out a small technological project and before starting it I want to make sure it is possible,
I will refrain from specific details about the project's purpose because I may want to register it as a patent in the future, but if I miss important information please ask me and answer as best I can.
The essence of the project is measuring how many metal objects make contact with the main metal surface, and in case of removing one of the objects, to create a warning.
My question is if there is a sensor that I can attach to the metal surface that will sample the surface tension at any given moment and know how to detect objects that are placed on it, of course, the metal object placed on the surface will be connected to a device too (preferably powered by a small battery) that will give the electrical resistance that the sensor will detect, do you know a product that can help me build the project or at least a prototype, is there a possibility for such a project? do you think of a smarter way to accomplish this project?
Thank you very much for your time and sorry if my questions aren't accurate or professional, this is not my main occupation.
Is there a smarter way? How could we tell? Your description is of part of a solution to a problem with a lot of hidden parameters. I would say, on the basis of your proposed solution, which is exceptionally naïve if there is a solution to the unknown problem yours is probably far from the best approach.

Patents aren’t all they are made out to be, and if your desire to cash in on the free advice you are getting here keeps you from revealing what you are doing you probably won’t be getting much of that.

This isn’t intended to be a chastisement or recrimination, it’s just the facts. If you want help here and there is something worth doing you can probably get it but you are going have to explain the problem you are solving and not just on a “need to know” basis.

Whatever the case, good luck with your project.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Hello everyone,
@Talco88 First of all, from a patent standpoint- don't discuss your project in a forum- you can violate your chances of obaining a patent in doing so. It's wise to understand the patent process before you invent something. I've produced many prototypes for inventors from napikin to commercial product, quickly, affordably.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
To expand on my previous comments, if you think like a businessman, you realize that market entry and exit are the crucial factors. That means that if you can get a product to market and beat everybody else you do it. You don't talk about it, brag about it, or ruminate about it -- you just do it. Then when the copycats show up you make your exit. You don't complain about them, you don't threaten to sue them, and best of all you don't engage in lengthy court battles with people that have deeper pockets and better lawyers than you can possibly afford in your wildest dreams. As a bonus you never spent the time and money to acquire a worthless piece of paper, that only entitles you to go to court to defend your rights. One good idea won't make you rich, but 1,000 ideas has an enormous chance of making you a good living and giving you a worthy reputation to boot. Wise up. If you act like an inventor, be prepared for an uncomfortable financial reaming.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Actually, in the US, you have 12 months after disclosing an invention to file a patent. This grace period depends on the country, and some have no grace period at all.

Bob

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Actually, in the US, you have 12 months after disclosing an invention to file a patent. This grace period depends on the country, and some have no grace period at all.

Bob
I have two, paid for by someone else. Both are completely worthless from the day they were filed.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
My employer paid me $1500 for filing my one patent as the sole inventor, on my others, there were up to 8 inventors. I think the gave a min of $500 in that case. So, not entirely worthless to me, but then I didn’t have to pay the lawyers.

Bob

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020

Bob
A very risky move. If I copy and paste the investor's public disclosure - and add a minor improvement or alternative, the patent office will recognize my publication as prior art and disqualify the novelty of the inventor's idea - no patent for the inventor.