Help with Project...I'm New Here!

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
Hey guys, I hope you all can help me out I am trying to work on what seems to be a simple project, but need some help.

I'll go step by step and try to make it real short:

1) My source of current will come from a car 12V battery or motorcycle battery. The battery will be out of the car or motorcycle, so I can attach the +/- terminal to get power from there.

2) I want it to go into a step up transformer to bring it up to regulate between 50V to 120V (estimated, but doesn't have to be, at least 100V).

3) I want a knob to be attach to it, where I can reduce or increase the the voltage on the output end. (not sure what this part is called).

4) I also want a Multi-meter tied into it so I can see the actual voltage coming out and use the knob in #3 to regulate it.

5) The catnode and anode will be connect to different thing such as light bulb, etc... I can work with the output end, just #1, 2, 3, and 4 I'm worried about.

I mostly will be using this at camping, if anyone is wondering and trying to come up with a different idea and want to build something on my own with the help of you guys here.

Thanks
Mike

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The device you are looking for is called an inverter. The variable output is interesting, but not too practical. An inverter uses a circuit to chop the 12 volts from the battery and simulate an AC voltage to drive a step up transformer.

Since the inverter uses a transformer, you can't control the voltage out. If it's improtant, a triac dimmer might be able to do that.

Here is a link to an outfit that sells inverters for camping uses - http://www.4lots.com/power_inverter/camping.htm. Using "camping inverter" with google brings up lots of hits.

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
Sorry for the confusion guys.

I want to keep this as direct current, so it will come off of a regular 12V car battery, (battery will be removed from the car). Then I want it to go into a step up transformer, to up the voltage, and if there's any way to monitor the voltage coming out, I'll like to do that as well.

Pardon my n0ob-nest, but you can put a set up transformer on a 12 DC battery?

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
No, but you can use a DC-DC converter (essentially an inverter) to up the voltage. Or simply rectify the AC out of the inverter and use a FET or transistor to control power to a load.

One important thing is to know the size of the load in watts - the inverter or DC-DC converter selection comes from the power it has to produce.

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
Hey beenthere,

Thanks for constant checking on my thread, I appreciate it, as I am trying to figure out what to do, you've been a great help so far believe it or not.

I decided to go with the first suggestion with the inverter, but here's the thing.

Can I cut off the part the plug into the car charger and connect it directly to the battery? Will I still get the 150W output on the inverter?

Now after the inverter puts out it's 115V; Is there a device to regulate the voltage? (lower/higher voltage).

For example, The batter send 12V to the inverter, the inverter puts out 115V and have a voltage regulator (if there's such thing) connect to the inverter to lower the voltage is necessary, I don't mind having the end wire peel, I can deal with that into a different piece. So I'm not worried about that part.

PS: I'm not looking to built my own piece, just purchase pieces already built and put together what I need.

Thanks again

It should look something like this.

And the output will be whatever I want to connect there. But I'm not sure about the Adjuster Unit (is there such a thing to connect to the inverter output to regulate the voltage coming out lower or higher before reaching the last output that will be open.

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, if you want to build a flyback DC-DC converter, here's a great page:
http://www.dos4ever.com/flyback/flyback.html

It's not "for dummies", Ronald just has a great sense of humor. ;)

If you are considering powering an incandescent lamp or lamps, I suggest that you should instead consider super-bright LED's. Otherwise, you will quickly wind up in the dark with a dead battery in the middle of noplace and no way to start your vehicle. :eek:

Also, motorcycle/auto batteries are not designed to be "deep-cycled"; if their voltage drops below around 12.4, they will begin sulfation; "gook" will form on the plates eventually preventing them from accepting a charge.

LEDs nowadays can put out an amazing amount of light for the small amount of power they consume. That is largely because they do not have to generate heat to produce light, like incandescent bulbs must.

For camping lights, consider building a few Joule Thieves:
http://www.bigclive.com/joule.htm (this is a good one)
Or this Google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Joule+Thief+

Last edited:

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
Well this is not only for light, as I am fix for that, it's just an experiment I want to do. I own 25 acres of land upstate new york, and there's also a large lake that has a lot of fish there. I don't let anyone fished in there, but I want to do my own servery of the lake to see what kind of fish and what the population in the lake is, so I may let people fish there for a while.

The thing is it's very expensive to get the pro do it, but this device I'm trying to built will stun the fish and will float up for about a min, after I move about 20 yards away will turn back over and go down. I help done this in Texas before and train on how to use the device, but it's about $6000 + for it. And will do the same thing as this.

Now I want to inter-grade a way to regulate the voltage, as I don't want to send too much current through the water all at once it will injure the fish possible killing it. I will start out with a low voltage and raise the voltage as necessary.

Thanks again for the help guys.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If the Fish & Wildlife people in New York are anything like the same as where I live, you could end up with a big fine or even jail time for using an electronic device to attract fish. Check the regulations first, although it may be ok if it's only on your land.

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
I already check with NYS DEC, and they request my training certificate and I was told it's ok to do it just for servay purpose ONLY. If i am caught doing game fishing with this, as you said I'll face time and big fine.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
OK, sounds like you need something like Ronald's flyback converter with an additional control on it, with more capacitance on the HV end to give the fishies a jolt.

Drop me a PM if you wish, I have relatives in several places around upstate NY

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Depending on how much expense one is willing to go to, one could use a variac plugged into the inverter, and rectify & filter the variac output. The meter could easily go across the load.

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
OK, sounds like you need something like Ronald's flyback converter with an additional control on it, with more capacitance on the HV end to give the fishies a jolt.

Drop me a PM if you wish, I have relatives in several places around upstate NY
:confused:

thinkmaker3, idea sounds real easy, I've outline a diagram below. I'll be sure to drop you a PM later on. We can do some good fishing if you ever come upstate when I'm all done and set to go.

Last edited:

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
Depending on how much expense one is willing to go to, one could use a variac plugged into the inverter, and rectify & filter the variac output. The meter could easily go across the load.
The variac plug requires 110V of input to run. [ http://webtronics.stores.yahoo.net/ensavat.html ]

Would it work like this:

1) 12V battery connected to 150W (115V) inverter
2) Output from the inverter to the input of the variac plug (looks like the variac above have know to adjust the voltage already)
3) Output from the variac with a cut out end regular 110V plug (VCR, DVD player etc..., attach to the rod that will be in the water.

I'll try put together a diagram,

This sounds like it should pull together?

Thanks

EDIT:
OK, here's a little diagram I whip up, a buddy just got off the phone with NYS DEC, a real helpful guy, also said since it's a homemade device and it's electrical and will be in the water, we should put a "dead man" switch. A kill switch to shutdown the entire thing if anything goes wrong.

12V battery into 150W inverter will put out 115V, the Variac require 110V input to run.

The variac also have a power switch, fuse, a know to adjust the output voltage anywhere from 0-130V will be great, because I can start out real low.

Best of all everything should cost about $100

Last edited: