Help with LED Sequencer

John Burkee

Joined Dec 13, 2014
I need a little help with the LED Sequencer project on your site. I am attempting to use it to drive some Christmas lights, the only change that was made to the circuit was instead of the LED strip I have added in its place wire runs that would simulate runway lights for our Santa Blow up decoration. The total length of the light string is about eight feet. I can get the first light to come on but that is it. It does not want to flash in sequence. I have some limited knowledge of electronics, just enough to get me in trouble. Any help on this would be great.

pedro147

Joined Jan 1, 2013
John, I don't know if I would be able to help but from my extensive experience in a variety of forums, might I suggest that you post a link to the "LED Sequencer project on your site" and also show your "I have added in its place wire runs that would simulate runway lights" modifications. Good luck

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
What are you using for sequencer, how many lights. Are lights incadescent or LED's. What is power supply V & current rating??
A common sequencer, 4017 ckt, would control 10 lights. Filament lights might be around 2.4 V @ 300mA, so would need drivers. Connecting lights would require a common lead & a lead for each light.

John Burkee

Joined Dec 13, 2014
What are you using for sequencer, how many lights. Are lights incadescent or LED's. What is power supply V & current rating??
A common sequencer, 4017 ckt, would control 10 lights. Filament lights might be around 2.4 V @ 300mA, so would need drivers. Connecting lights would require a common lead & a lead for each light.
I am using the 4017 and 555 timer. They are LED lights, I have a common lead running back to the circuit and a lead for each LED. There is a total of five LED in a row and I am not using the last three on the circuit. I don't know if that would be a problem. Have 9 volts DC (6 1.5 volt AA) going to the circuit. I took some of those Solar lights you can get at wal-mart and pulled out the guts and replaced them with a 4 pin radio shack LED with the proper resistor.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
with light 1 on, & not advancing, 4017 is at reset & or with no clock; check to see if 555 is working, meter or R & LED on pin 3. Re check wiring.

John Burkee

Joined Dec 13, 2014
with light 1 on, & not advancing, 4017 is at reset & or with no clock; check to see if 555 is working, meter or R & LED on pin 3. Re check wiring.
I rechecked my wiring put a new 555 and 4017 in the circuit and still the same results, I did find that I had installed a 1 ohm resistor instead of the 1 meg ohm. Changed out the resister to the proper 1 meg ohm and still stuck at the first light. I have labeled my lights 1 through 5, but on the circuit it is the O spot on the 4017 that is lighting up. I am lost on what you are trying to tell me "meter or R and LED on pin 3." Thanks for your repy's.

John Burkee

Joined Dec 13, 2014
John, I don't know if I would be able to help but from my extensive experience in a variety of forums, might I suggest that you post a link to the "LED Sequencer project on your site" and also show your "I have added in its place wire runs that would simulate runway lights" modifications. Good luck
I posted the project diagram I am working on, I will try to post a picture of the project I am working on and show the changes. The only real change was instead of the LED strip, in its place I soldered terminal connectors where I can tie in the wires for the light run. The resistor for the lights is in the light itself with the LED.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am lost on what you are trying to tell me "meter or R and LED on pin 3." Thanks for your repy's.
I think what Bernard is trying to say is to confirm you are getting a clock output on pin 3 of the 555. Measure the voltage at pin 3 with a DMM or multimeter. Or if you don't have a meter, cobble together an LED and appropriate resistor to make sure you're getting an output.

The meter should show ~1/2 Vcc. The LED should light dimly when connected between pin 3 and Gnd. (as compared to hooking the assembly directly between Vcc and Gnd)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What is your battery power? The forum page says 6v. If that is the case, then first your meter range should be higher than 6v; maybe the 10v range. Secondly, it should measure somewhere around 3v. That'd be 1/2 the voltage.

If you're only getting 0.024v, then something is wrong with the clock circuitry or with the 555. Get that working first on a breadboard before adding the counter.

How fast is the 555 supposed to be clocking?

John Burkee

Joined Dec 13, 2014
Found the problem, checked the input voltage to the 555 timer and there was 0 volts. Found part of the copper strip on the project board melted. Did the repair with solder and it works fine. The sequence was a little out of order, just moved the wires around and they are chasing. I would like to thank you all so much for the help and as I start tinkering more on some projects I will be asking a lot of questions. Once again Thank You. I will see if I can post a vid of it working once it is all set up.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Congratulations-- feels good when a project comes together.
When count advances to 4th LED, there will be a time gap before starting over; if you wish to shorten the gap, connect any upper output from 5, pin 1 to reset, pin 15, remove other p 15 connection.