help with dog whistle using 555 timer

itel933

Joined Aug 26, 2010
I buillt this dog whistle,I replaced the potentiometer with 4 momentary switches inline with a resistor. (each button has a different resistance on it, thereby creating a different tone) they are connected with a common to the trigger/threshold pins on the 555 timer

when I powered on the timer and pressed a button I am getting the same tone, regardless of the button pressed. is there a way to make it so that each button isolates the other resistors (i think that since they all share the common that I am getting all the resistors to working together)

Is this possible with the 555 timer or do I have to use another IC?

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
So you have replaced the switch in your schematic with four switches each switch with its own series resistor. If I have interpreted your hookup correctly, all you have done with the different resistors is to change the voltage that powers the 555. That will not have much effect at all on the frequency.

hgmjr

itel933

Joined Aug 26, 2010
So you have replaced the switch in your schematic with four switches each switch with its own series resistor. If I have interpreted your hookup correctly, all you have done with the different resistors is to change the voltage that powers the 555. That will not have much effect at all on the frequency.

hgmjr
no I replaces the Potentiometer, not the on off switch

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Messey, but may be possible: bias neg. input of a comparator to about 3/4 of +V; on resistor side of SW, connect anode of 1N914, cathode to .01 μF, other side to ground. Bypass cap with 10M- 22MΩ. Connect cathode- cap junction to + comp. input. With SW open comp. should be low, SW closed + will go to almost +V, causing output to go high. Frequency will be slightly altered.

ale2121

Joined Mar 20, 2009
the switch in this schematic (between pin 4 and the +voltage), is simply turning the circuit on and off. I believe you should be putting your tone switches, along with resistors, in between pins 7 and 8.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The 10uF capacitor feeding the piezo transducer is not needed because the piezo transducer is a capacitor.
The 10uF capacitor should bypass the 9V at pin 8 and pin 1 or between pin 4 and pin 1 of the 555.