Help with converting DPDT to Microswitch

ParadiseCS

Joined Dec 13, 2017
Hello. I have a 1974 Seeburg Jukebox that I am building a wired remote control for. I have the schematics and can make it work using a Momentary DPDT toggle. I'd like to convert it to an arcade joystick using micro-switches so that it matches the theme in my garage with my arcade machines. Can anyone look at the schematics and tell me if this will work? I've second guessed myself enough now that I can't seem to do it. The only thing I know for certain is that if you volume up and down at the same it blows a fuse and can damage the amp.

Attachments

ParadiseCS

Joined Dec 13, 2017
So I would wire the DPDT relay in place of the DPDT momentary switch. Then use the microswitches to open and close the up and down volume. How would I connect the switches to the relay? I haven't done this setup before.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Looking in more detail at what you want to do you are trying to get the function of a centre off DPDT switch. In you original description it sounded like a DPDT switch that was biased in one direction. To Get the functionallity that you require you would need two micro switches single pole double throw or two single pole single throw micro switches driving two single pole double throw relays.
131217.jpg

The top schematic shows how to do it using two SPDT micro switches. (Which are quite common) The lower schematic show using two SPST (Puse to make.) micro switches and two SPDT relays. 32 volts is an unusual voltage for relay coils so you mau have to use 24 volt relays with a resiror in series with the coils. Or if you have another voltage available you could use a relay the suits that voltage. It would be worth adding diodes across the relay coils to avoid the back EMF from the relay coils damaging the contagts on light duty micro switches

Les.

ParadiseCS

Joined Dec 13, 2017
Sorry for not getting back to anyone with thanks, I had to put this aside over the holidays.

Thank you for all of the ideas. I drew up this drawing tonight to help me understand. I've done some further checking and my voltages have dropped to 24 from 32 per the service manual, so that was nice. I'm still not sure if what I want will work but I'm being way more careful than I normally would since if it's wrong it is a $300 amp rebuild at stake. What do you all think of this drawing? The first part is my interpretation of the Jukebox Schematic (haven't used DPDT switches before) The next two parts are the two types of joysticks, SPDT and SPST. I'd prefer the cheaper SPST but I think that is where you said it requires the relays and expense wise probably not worth it. The most important thing is that it is off when not up or downUntitled.jpg And again, thank you all for the help. I'm learning a lot here. It's been 30 years since I've done any electronics repair so I'm relearning everything again. Next stop is buying a handhelp scope.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You need to consider the current rating of the micro switches in the joystick and the current taken by the motor. If you use relay then connect diodes in parallel with the coils to limit the back emf when the switch contacts open. (Connect them in the direction so they DO NOT conduct when the relay is powered.) It would also be a good idea to connect a capacitor of about 100 nf directly across the motor terminals.

Les.

ParadiseCS

Joined Dec 13, 2017
Thank you for the insight. For now I back tracked and used a DPDT rocker switch to get me up and going. I need to learn more about placing the relays and diodes before proceeding to the next level I think. I'm still going to try but at least now my Jukebox isn't shaking the windows apart.