Help with controlling linear actuator

Mrgrey

Joined Jul 27, 2011
Hi folks

A complete novice here in this field .

I Really need some help in finding a way to control a linear actuator open and close a cupboard door via either infrared or maybe an x10 home automation module (as already using x10 for automation).

The linear actuator is from frigelli and only has a red and black wire which i can connect to a 12 v supply and it opens then if i reverse the wires the door closes.

I already have a couple of x10 modules which have a relay (um7206 module) using these would be ideal as they are not being used.
I tried to connect this module and it opens the actuator fine but i have to swap the wires over by hand then press on the module for it to close.
How can i have it so the polarity is switced automatically?

Hope someone can help

Mrgrey

Joined Jul 27, 2011
many thanks:D

now will any make / model impulse relay work for my application?
As i m based in the uk i need to find one here due to shipping costs.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Your x10 module plus regular DPDT (2 form C) relay will work just fine too and will only cost a few dollars. Limit switches will be required to stop the actuator when it is fully open or closed if your actuator doesn't have them built in.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Your x10 module plus regular DPDT (2 form C) relay will work just fine too and will only cost a few dollars. Limit switches will be required to stop the actuator when it is fully open or closed if your actuator doesn't have them built in.
can you explain? I was thinking it needs to remember it's state or else it's going to try to extend every time or retract every time

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
can you explain? I was thinking it needs to remember it's state or else it's going to try to extend every time or retract every time
energize the relay and the door opens..deenergize relay and the door closes
you run each lead of the actuator to each side of the relay.. let the relay switch polarity to the motor.
crude drawing attached

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
you run each lead of the actuator to each side of the relay.. let the relay switch polarity to the motor.
crude drawing attached
Ok, yeah I didn't think about that one. should be fine as long as OP is ok with the door closing any time the power is removed

Limit switch.

The actuator stops once fully open or closed even if i keep it connected to the power supply.

Is this what you mean by built in limit switch?

Do you guys have a link to the other options that cost only a few dollars and should it be wired as in the above diagram?

Will the 12v relay in this link do the job for me
[URL="http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37518&c=froogle&u=37518&t=module"]http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37518&c=froogle&u=37518&t=module[/URL]
Just because it stops at the end doesn't necessarily mean it has internal limit switches. It probably does, as most do, but it's best to find out for sure.
Yes, That relay should work for Mrgrey's suggestion.

Mrgrey

Joined Jul 27, 2011
Ive now recieved what i hope will get the job done.

Here is the technical info on the relay i purchased .

Can you please advise me what wires attach to what part of the relay.
The diagram has the connections numbered on the relay.
Note the project consists of a actuator , 12 v power supply, x10 relay module x10 um7206) and the relay.

Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just to make the description easier, I combined the two images:

If that is a "Finder" brand 44 Series relay, I don't think it is the type of relay that Strantor was referring to - it is just a standard PCB-mount DPDT relay.

Attachments

Mrgrey

Joined Jul 27, 2011
Just to make the description easier, I combined the two images:

If that is a "Finder" brand 44 Series relay, I don't think it is the type of relay that Strantor was referring to - it is just a standard PCB-mount DPDT relay.
Hi

Oh dear it looks like it is in fact a finder 44 series .
Silly me , told you i m a complete novice..

What is the correct type i require ?

Mrgrey

Joined Jul 27, 2011
crude drawing attached
Just to double check before i purchase the latching relay.

Does the advice by mcgyvr not use the dpdt relay i have just got?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Just to double check before i purchase the latching relay.

Does the advice by mcgyvr not use the dpdt relay i have just got?
the relay you bought will work for mcgyvr's suggestion. It will not work for my suggestion.

The only difference between my suggestion and mgyvr's suggestion is that with my suggestion, you send the x10 a signal and the door opens and will stay open until you send it another signal. With mcgyvr's suggestion you need to send the x10 a signal and continue that signal for as long as you want the door open; as soon as you remove the signal, the door will close automatically. If this is alright with you, then it's the cheaper solution.

Mrgrey

Joined Jul 27, 2011
Thats how i would like it to work ( fully open and fully closed)

So that means i can use the relay i have already got .

I appreciate the diagram above showing me what connections are on the relay now i tried to do this over the weekend but cannot get it to work.

I m certain its an error on my behalf , i dont want to damage anything going any further.
can you please show me in the simplest way possible how i need to connect all my components together.
Eg: red(positive) from actuater goes here , x10 connects to this wire etc...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
if your actuator already has limit switches, ignore the ones I drew.

Also, I forgot to draw a diode; there should be a diode in parallel with the relay coil. you shouldn't need it right away for testing, but you should put it there at least before you leave it as a permanent installation