help with a meter of sorts

atwinda

Joined Mar 3, 2007
I know that this is probably very simple for some folks here, so that is why I am coming to you guys!

I'm trying to make a simple meter using a pot and led output. I have 12v going to the pot, and what I don't understand is how I control the leds after that.. For simplicity's sake lets say I want to show 2v - 12v in even increments. The previous led can stay lit. So basically I want one led to come on at 2v, the next to come on at 4v, etc... I know I need to use resistors going to each led, but I don't know how to figure out what the value of the resistor should be.

I've found a few diagrams floating around, but I'm not the most educated when it comes to reading electrical diagrams.

thanks in advance!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Search this site using "LM3914" as the search term. You will turn up numerous posts about this IC, which is made to do the metering you want.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Take a look at this device. LM3914 Datasheet

There are several example circuits in the datasheet. You can also google for example circuits.

It is available from digikey for less than 3 dollars.

hgmjr

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Certainly a series of window comparators would work - that's how the LM3914 works it's voodoo. It would be more effort and more expense.