Help with a few components

SurferMarkUK

Joined Jan 10, 2017
Could anyone help tell me what type/size components I need with this circuit diagram?
diagram1.jpg
I’m going to be using a pump as the motor rated at DC: 3.5-9v 1-3W and my power supply will be DC 8.4V 1.5A.
What capacitor, diode, transistor and resistor do I need? Pin 9 will be connected to an Arduino nano.
Also, if I wanted to connect two pump/motors to the same circuit what would I need?
The pumps will only be on for around 20 seconds at a time every few hours.
I’m guessing the transistor would need to be a NPN BJT rated at least 8.4V and 6W but haven’t got a clue about the rest as I’m still just learning.

Cheers

Mark
pump.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

From the information in the "DC:" line, you can determine that the coil resistance is 27 ohms
\( \small P = \frac{V^2}{R} => R = \frac{V^2}{P} = \frac{9*9}{3} = 27 ohms\)

When the transistor is saturated, it will be conducting about
\( \small I = \frac{V}{R} = \frac{8.4V}{27 ohms} = 0.31A \)

For a transistor switch, the rule of thumb is to drive the base with 0.1X of the collector current, so you need 31mA. Assuming the Arduino is operating at 3.3V, and can source enough current, you need about 100 ohms. In the likely event that the Arduino can't source 31mA, you need to add another stage for current gain (e.g. use a Darlington transistor). With a logic level NMOSFET, you wouldn't have that problem.

When the transistor is saturated, it's power dissipation will be fairly low:
\( \small P_t = I_c * V_{CE}_{sat} = 0.31A * 0.1V = 31mW \)

C1 seems superfluous...

SurferMarkUK

Joined Jan 10, 2017
Cheers for such detailed help Dennis.
The Arduino nano is operating at 5V andf the pins can supply max 40mA, recommended 20mA
I've decided to use 5v supply as the pumps are too noisey at 8.4v
I'm guessing that the transistor would be saturated at 5V/27ohms = 0.18A
So running two pumps in parallel would need a 0.36A NMOSFET

Would this one be ok?
N-Channel MOSFET 5.6A 100V Rds=0.54
https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php...ucts_id=1019&zenid=o6gf1u45n5r6d6msci852okcu4

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It'll work for your application. For higher current a different device would be better. The turn voltage could be as high as 4V and Rds will be greater than 0.54 ohms. Probably still okay because you'll only be drawing 360mA.
upload_2017-1-13_7-52-12.png

SurferMarkUK

Joined Jan 10, 2017
I think so. Are you able to solder SOT-23 parts? They're quite small and rework is difficult without a hot air tool.
Nope I've never tried soldering SOT-23 parts. I'm new to all this and so far my soldering experience extends to soldering the header pins to the arduino nano. Guess there's only one way to learn!

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The post #8 circuit shows a 1N4148 diode, which would be unsuitable (too low a current rating) for the present application. The 1N4004 shown in post #1 would be better. Bear in mind that the stall/start-up current of the pump motor will be several times its normal (rated) running current.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Overkill again. Since your Arduino is operating at 5V, you could use a 2N7000 for each of the pumps. You'd need an extra resistor and snubber diode, but total parts will cost less than a single power MOSFET.

You don't need R2 in the schematic in post #8. It would reduce your drive voltage by 10% and is unnecessary.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015

SurferMarkUK

Joined Jan 10, 2017
take a look at figure 1/2 and if 5v is applied to the gate, how much current can it flow and at what Vds?

in general, you will need a logic level mosfet - they start to conduct at 2 - 3v and are fully open at 5v. older mosfets, like th eirf you liked to, need much high voltages, like 7 - 9v, to be fully open.
How about this one, will this work with the Arduino?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfet-transistors/8075863/

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Unless you plan to drive pumps that require more than 180mA, why don't you look at MOSFETs that will handle 200-500mA?

Like 2X 2N7000?

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
Hope I got it right
"hope" usually is a good plan B, :)

in cases like this, you want to know what's the worst case load. motors typically draws the most current at low rpm -> when they are starting. so I would first measure the dc resistance of the motor, calculate its start current, double that for some headroom in the future.

Once that is in place, I would check the datasheet to make sure that the mosfet can switch at least that much current given the driver / signal source you have.

from there do some loss / thermal calculation to see if you need to heatsink the mosfet.

Rds / Id don't come into play until and unless you have established that the mosfet can be safely switched.

alternatively, you can always hope for the best, :)