Help with 5 position switch

TheMasterXXXXX

Joined Aug 23, 2022
I am seeking a switch with 5 positions that can fulfill the design seen here:
5_position_switch.png
When the switch is in position #1, both sides will be connected to their respective '1' positions. When the switch is in position #2, both will be connected to '2', and so forth.

Is this a 2 pole 5 throw switch? If so, then I found some for sale. However, looking at their diagram, I am not entirely sure those switches accomplish my goal. Also, they are rather bulky, so I would prefer another solution if possible. Could a multiplexer/analog switch of some kind accomplish this? Or perhaps a combination of a mechanical switch + a multiplexer.

Edit: Rotary switches are too bulky and expensive for my application.

I appreciate any help

Last edited:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
This is not an unusual Switch.
What You need to do is to learn how to use the Search-Features of any
of the large Electronics-Suppliers,
you'll probably find ~10 to ~20 different versions of that Switch configuration,
in many different sizes.

TheMasterXXXXX

Joined Aug 23, 2022
This is not an unusual Switch.
What You need to do is to learn how to use the Search-Features of any
of the large Electronics-Suppliers,
you'll probably find ~10 to ~20 different versions of that Switch configuration,
in many different sizes.
I tried, in fact for many hours....
Perhaps the problem is that I'm not even sure what this is called. If you can direct me to one, or tell me what I should type in, it would be a great help.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Grayhill are known for these types of switches.
Dual section rotary switch ,Five position, they can come in shorting or non-shorting, i.e. non-shorting is the previous contact opens, before the next closes.
Try Digikey.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
View attachment 276117
A very important question: what is the application for this switch? While not a rare configuration it is not a common one. What leads you to think you need that switch? What is being switched with it?

It would do you no good to find a switch that acts like the schematic and not solve your problem. What is the problem the switch will solve?

TheMasterXXXXX

Joined Aug 23, 2022
Grayhill are known for these types of switches.

Try Digikey.
That's a 2-Pole / 5-Throw Switch.
Look here ............
Thanks, but I have encountered those rotary switches. They are bulky and too expensive for my application. It would be ideal if the user would just move a slide switch. The 2P5T switch I posted only costs `$0.10. I just wasn't sure that it fulfils what I asked for (and am still not sure).

TheMasterXXXXX

Joined Aug 23, 2022
A very important question: what is the application for this switch?
Understandable, I think I'll also post another question addressing the circuit. I hesitate to post it here because it is fairly complicated and off topic. Anyhow in the meantime, do you think that the switch I posted solves this? Any other ideas?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Understandable, I think I'll also post another question addressing the circuit. I hesitate to post it here because it is fairly complicated and off topic. Anyhow in the meantime, do you think that the switch I posted solves this? Any other ideas?
2P5T slide switches are a common solution to the sort of problem you present, but a 10¢ switch of that sort is going to have a limited life in terms of operations and will be prone to noise if it is rarely operated.

Similar, momentary switches used to be the way that transceiver switchovers were done. The PTT switch also changed the antenna, audio, and power connections from receive to tansmit. They suffered from noisy operation and were easily contaminated leading to malfunctions.

That’s why they aren’t used any more since there are now solid state alternatives which are not more expensive, often cheaper and less noisy or prone to failure.

All of this is to say that electrically, in terms of signal flow, an 2P5T slide switch “works” but if you tell me there will be audio signals routed through it, or mains voltages, high current, or inductive loads—then I would say it doesn’t work, hence the need to know the application.

Last edited:

TheMasterXXXXX

Joined Aug 23, 2022
2P5T slide switches are a common solution to the sort of problem you present, but a 10¢ switch of that sort is going to have a limited life in terms of operations and will be prone to noise if it is rarely operated.
Got it. The left side toggles between DC voltages references, and the right side between resistors. Either way this is for a low voltage, low current, DC application.
Wait, you want an SP5T switch.
How so? Would not a SP5T only represent one side of my image? I want one switch to actuate both sides.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Got it. The left side toggles between DC voltages references, and the right side between resistors. Either way this is for a low voltage, low current, DC application.
I find your description a little hard to work out. A schematic would help a lot. Without that I can only wonder how accurate the resistances have to be since the contacts of the switch will eventually be adding some random resistances (though never very high, unless it gets really dirty.)

How so? Would not a SP5T only represent one side of my image? I want one switch to actuate both sides.
I was getting lost in my own searches, ignore that, I deleted the confused post. The issue is that most DP5T switches will be designed to switch a pair of common terminals across 5 others.

TheMasterXXXXX

Joined Aug 23, 2022
The issue is that most DP5T switches will be designed to switch a pair of common terminals across 5 others.
The resistors involved are all high value so I am not concerned about resistance added by the switch. I'll get to work on a more detailed explanation of my (attempted) circuit.

Do you have a verdict on the schematic of the switch I posted? Do you think it fulfils my purpose? I find it rather troubling....

(I am referring to the schematic of the switch I found online, posted in one of my replies).

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The resistors involved are all high value so I am not concerned about resistance added by the switch. I'll get to work on a more detailed explanation of my (attempted) circuit.

Do you have a verdict on the schematic of the switch I posted? Do you think it fulfils my purpose? I find it rather troubling....

(I am referring to the schematic of the switch I found online, posted in one of my replies).
The way I understand that schematic it appears to connect two pairs of contacts at a time. do the resistors exist as totally independent circuits or to the connect to a common point?

TheMasterXXXXX

Joined Aug 23, 2022
The way I understand that schematic it appears to connect two pairs of contacts at a time. do the resistors exist as totally independent circuits or to the connect to a common point?
The resistors are totally independent. There is no electrical connection between the left and right side of my image.

I found this switch, and it looks rather promising. Correct me if I'm mistaken but I think it more closely represents my image. It has 1 extra position, but I can live with that. It even has a smaller form factor.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The resistors are totally independent. There is no electrical connection between the left and right side of my image.

I found this switch, and it looks rather promising. Correct me if I'm mistaken but I think it more closely represents my image. It has 1 extra position, but I can live with that. It even has a smaller form factor.
Other than being 6T is looks correct.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
View attachment 276117
When the switch is in position #1, both sides will be connected to their respective '1' positions. When the switch is in position #2, both will be connected to '2', and so forth.

Is this a 2 pole 5 throw switch? If so, then I found some for sale. However, looking at their diagram, I am not entirely sure those switches accomplish my goal. Also, they are rather bulky, so I would prefer another solution if possible. Could a multiplexer/analog switch of some kind accomplish this? Or perhaps a combination of a mechanical switch + a multiplexer.

Edit: Rotary switches are too bulky and expensive for my application.

I appreciate any help
Here's one.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1571600-1.html

The positions are shown at bottom right of attached drawing.

Attachments