Help with 5 digit 7 segment displays

ikhan42

Joined Aug 16, 2021
Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum as im starting to get interested in electronics. Ive built some projects over the past months while under covid restrictions and am interested in doing things with Audrino aswell. One of the things im looking at experimenting with is flight simulator instruments and am looking at building as near to the real thing as I can. I am a perfectionist and thats probably cause i never followed my hear to be a pilot all those years ago. At 52 its too late for me to become a commercial pilot and also with covid its probs a dieing industry at the moment.

Anyways my question is based around 7 segment displays a traditional 737 cockpit has white displays and all the sims ive seen seem to use red or green. Ive looked everywhere through google and cant seem to find Common Cathode 7 segment displays 5,4,3 or 2 in white and even the 1 digit white seem to be impossible to find. Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make these in the color white? Ive found one on ali express but got ripped off on there a couple of years ago so worried about trying again.

Thanks for the help
Ikhan42

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Have you tried RS Electronics, Australia yet? I’ll bet those displays are pretty common among the larger electronics distributors.

The air conditioner keeping me cool right now has such a display.

ikhan42

Joined Aug 16, 2021
If you do a search on ebay for "white 7 segment led display" this is the result.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...313&_nkw=White+7+segment+LED+display&_sacat=0
There are no 5 digit displays but you could use single digits or a 6 digit display and blank off one digit.

Les.
I cant believe it didnt occur to me to just not connect the 6ths display I knew about the 4 and 1 and the 3 and 2 but the gap between is too noticable but since im making my own PCB anyways I can just use the 6 display and have the face plate I build cover up the last digit.

Now i feel stupid. Thanks Les

ikhan42

Joined Aug 16, 2021
Have you tried RS Electronics, Australia yet? I’ll bet those displays are pretty common among the larger electronics distributors.

The air conditioner keeping me cool right now has such a display.
Yeah RS Components was the first place I tried as I do alot of shopping there for stepper motors etc. I even tried Altronics no joy with either. RED, GREEN, AND BLUE seem to be easy but the white is so damn hard.

Thanks for the suggestion though much appreciated