Help to replace this component

marce002

Joined Jan 20, 2019
Hello

I have burned 2 two camerss 720p wanscam hw00036 because wrong 12v and they use 5v!! My mistake... took apart and se a component burned that in another 3rd working camera reafs G8- ss6.... how to replace?

Pic 1 normal cam
Pic 2 burned cam (2 cams like this :( )

Attachments

marce002

Joined Jan 20, 2019
no no sorry! wonder what component to buy!!!, im asking what component is that because could not find in the web to buy one ... the working camera is used as a reference im not going to use it to fix the other..... googled G8- ss6 found nothing

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
If your ready to call the camera junk you could try a General purpose NPN, as NPN's are the most used. You just have to guess how that "transistor," if it really is that, is setup(Emitter Base Collector).

Google how to test transistor with multimeter....but these instructions require that you know which pin is E, B, C. You could also search for SMT transistors at mouser.com and view the datasheet to find the E, B, C for an NPN.

marce002

Joined Jan 20, 2019
If your ready to call the camera junk you could try a General purpose NPN, as NPN's are the most used. You just have to guess how that "transistor," if it really is that, is setup(Emitter Base Collector).

Google how to test transistor with multimeter....but these instructions require that you know which pin is E, B, C. You could also search for SMT transistors at mouser.com and view the datasheet to find the E, B, C for an NPN.
Thanks... a lot ... anyway yes in fact that was the purpose of this trhread .. to find someone who can help me identify what component is that called G8 SS6

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Not knowing what the part actually is makes remove and repair real difficult. The burned part could just have been a symptom so replacing it could just lead to another burned part. The idea id to get a handle on what does what, Sometimes looking at surrounding circuits can aid i knowing what apart is.

Ron

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
From the SMD code book, there are 3 components marked as "C8" but none as "G8.

SMD C8 component.PNG
It can't be a bridge quad so most probably an NPN transistor as guessed by @iONic

Allen

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It might also be a voltage regulator device. Use a ohm meter and check for connections to the power terminals of that camera board and see if there is some direct connection. It may even be a zener diode. MANY surface mount diodes have 3 terminals so that they can be put in correctly. And certainly a zener would burn up if way overdriven.
I had problems with some cameras because the STUPID makers had the power connector center negative. There should be a law forbidding the importing of any electronic device with a center negative power connection. Simply do not allow them to be imported ever, no exceptions.

marce002

Joined Jan 20, 2019
Thanks a lot guys... yes some vendors are stupid. Or lazy. In this case i was surounded with network security cams other brands and all were 12v. The connector is prepared to receive 12v but cam is 5v. My mistake not double check. I pluged one did not work. So tested anither one and puf...smoke

I have one left untouch and working so will try to measure like mrbill2 said. Ill comment later. Thks