help selecting a suitable FPGA to control a AD9707 DAC at 175MHz

super7800

Joined Apr 3, 2019
i rarely work with FPGAs, and even more rarely at high speeds.

i need advice for selecting an FPGA to control a AD9707 DAC. this requires a clock speed of 175MHz, and has 14-bit parallel single-ended input. Has to be driven at max speed, the DAC is already almost too slow for the application.

all the FPGA does is repeat a pre-defined arbitrary waveform over and over from a look-up table. Controls nothing else. waveforms will be loaded into FPGA from microcontroller.

the FPGA needs to be from lattice (that's what i got the programming tools for). BGA is fine i guess, QFN is optimal, something with "legs" is not due to size constraints.

my first thought was to use the ICE40UP5K-SG48I, however it doesn't look like that is fast enough.

the lattice XP2 also doesn't seem fast enough. the ECP2 series, however, does look good.

does anyone have any advice for how to approach selecting an FPGA for this application? thanks.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
It's been a few years since I worked with them, but Lattice used to have excellent Field Applications Engineers. Have you given them a call to find out?

super7800

Joined Apr 3, 2019
thank you for the recommendation. i have contacted them (Lattice Technical Support Center). still very much interested in any recommendations for a suitable part here. thanks.