Help Removing Battery from Board

sayluv

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Hi-
I need to replace the battery on my Bose speaker. I have everything apart but it looks like the battery is soldered? to the board.

move never done anything like this before. Do I just heat up my solder pen and very gently melt the solder on the 4 pins as shoe in the pics attached? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No. You have to free all four pins from the soldered hole in order to extract the component from the board.

You will need the following:
  1. 25-50W soldering iron
  2. some rosin cored solder
  3. solder wick
  4. solder sucker

I would suggest that you find a scrap electronics board to practice on first.

sayluv

Joined Jun 5, 2021
No. You have to free all four pins from the soldered hole in order to extract the component from the board.

You will need the following:
  1. 25-50W soldering iron
  2. some rosin cored solder
  3. solder wick
  4. solder sucker

I would suggest that you find a scrap electronics board to practice on first.
Thanks. Do I heat the pins or just the solder around them before extraction?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
If there is still any life left in the old battery, don't short any of the pins together while you are de-soldering it. If you do, it might just remove its self from the board with spectacular results.
I find that solder-wick works best for pins that are soldered to large areas of copper.

sayluv

Joined Jun 5, 2021
If there is still any life left in the old battery, don't short any of the pins together while you are de-soldering it. If you do, it might just remove its self from the board with spectacular results.
I find that solder-wick works best for pins that are soldered to large areas of copper.
That’s a good question. Great speaker and I’ve never used the battery but it’s slowly been depleting over the last 5 years. For whatever reason it stopped working when the battery finally died or got to low even though I only ever used it plugged in. Frustrating that I had to completely tear the thing apart to get to the battery.

sayluv

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Silly question, but have you tried recharging the battery before dismantling it?
Yea it’s been plugged in for years. Moved to different outlets, tried resetting it. It has to be the battery. I just need to swap them out and we’ll find out a guess—if I can remember where all the parts go.

sayluv

Joined Jun 5, 2021
Thanks. Do I heat the pins or just the solder around them before extraction?
Thanks everyone, I did it! I'm so happy to have my speaker back. It wasn't easy getting the pins out of the board but I managed not to destroy it. I took this thing apart over a month ago and had to wait to get a battery from China. I had no clue how to put it back together. Luckily I had a YT video that showed how to take it apart. I found a site that plays YT videos backwards and that worked beautifully. Back in business!