Help please, trying to connect old to new -TV to Computer Sound System

Soundsight

Joined Jul 19, 2016
Hello I need some help,

My question is about compatibility,

I have an old computer surround sound system (Altec Lansing ADA885) and I'm hoping that I can connect it to my TV (Finlux 37FLHD850U(l2). I have tried to provide enough details of the TV but I bought it off a friend and don't have the manual, I also can't locate the model online so I have taken what I think is the relevant information from the back of the TV. The TV has a headphone jack and this is what I'm thinking of plugging the speaker system into using a 3.5mm cable. However I don't know much about electronics and I'm wondering if plugging this system into the T.V could cause damage to either the speaker system or maybe even the T.V as they were not designed for each other, for example the voltages/wattage might be unsuitable, for all I know there could be other possible incompatibility problems that might cause damage. I got this speaker system years ago in 2001 when I got a Dell computer but I don't know how old my TV is, I don't think it's very old at all, it's a very modern LCD HD TV. If the speaker system still works it seems like such a waste to not use it especially considering that I know the speakers and subwoofer are pretty good quality.

This link will take you to a webpage where you can see the ports in the subwoofer, if you scoll down a bit you can see an enlarged diagram of them. http://stuartconnections.com/products/Computers/Peripherals/Speakers/ADA-885/Documentation/setup.htm#note_2

I'm thinking of plugging the other end of the cable into the input port that's colour coded green saying front, front means front speakers and the other port that says surround means back speakers. I'm hoping that if I plug the system into the headphone jack on my modern TV that I will at least get full stereo out of the speakers without any damage occurring. By the way I live in England, just incase that's relevant to my concern.

If anybody on here knows about sound systems and compatibility I would love to hear from you. I basically want to know if there is any danger of me damaging either the surround sound system or the TV if I was to try to connect them together.

Ok well I look forward to any feed back anyone can offer, thanks very much.

Kind Regards.

Soundsight.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yes, if your tv has an headphone socket it will be isolated from the mains supply, so its safe to plug into your speaker system.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Try stereo headphones or earbuds in the TV jack first. If you hear a stereo audio signal that doesn't blow your ears off, then the signal probably a) is stereo with the correct pin assignments; b) is at a low enough voltage that the speakers should be able to handle it. Of course, start with the speaker's volume control all the way down, and creep it up after things are connected.

ak

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ditto on testing with headphones first to confirm it is an analog audio output. It likely is, but this very easy test might save you from sending a digital signal into your sound system. That can be very loud and not cool for your speakers.

Note that you often need to keep the output volume low to avoid over-driving the line-in input of your speaker system. A headphone output is not really meant to provide line-out, but it does work.

Soundsight

Joined Jul 19, 2016
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses,

Well I don't get a loud noise through headphones when plugging them into it and I've got my surround sound system connected up to it, it seems to work:)

But are you telling me that you need to have a particular type of headphones for digital headphone output ports?

Regards.

soundsight.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
But are you telling me that you need to have a particular type of headphones for digital headphone output ports?
No, there's no such thing as a digital headphone port. Headphones are analog. But there can be digital outputs from A/V equipment. They don't normally use the same kind of jack as headphones, but you never know.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Although things seem to have calmed down a bit, the terms "digital" and "HD" were stuck on just about everything 5-10 years ago. Generally speaking, ear buds and amplified speaker systems do not take as high a signal voltage or power level as traditional over-the-ear headphones for the same loudness level. Other than that, they all are electrically very similar from an interface point of view, and all analog.

ak

Soundsight

Joined Jul 19, 2016
Oh I see,

my only other concerns are about whether or not I should put the subwoofer near my TV stand. Bearing in mind again that this is a very old sound system that wasn't built with the idea of it one day being sat close to such electrical items like my recorder box and DVD player and I know you're not supposed to put them near various electrical devices.

Also I want to move my LCD TV to a different location in my lounge but it will be in a position where the sun will shine on it if I do and I've heard that these types of TV's don't like heat. As I said before I live in England and it doesn't get as hot here as it does in certain other countries but it can still get pretty baking during the summer.

Are these concerns I need to have?

Again thank you for feed back.

Soundsight.