Help on a wireless led project

epochcraig

Joined Jul 21, 2016
Hello All hope your well.

I need a little advice on what to use to start my project i need to be able to send indicator signal/turn left and right and also a brake light from my bike to a remote set of lights the signal/indicators and brake lights, they will all be separate units so i presume i will need a wireless transmitter and 3 x receivers which will output to the leds they will all be running of 12v as well

can anyone advise on this please thank you

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hello All hope your well.

I need a little advice on what to use to start my project i need to be able to send indicator signal/turn left and right and also a brake light from my bike to a remote set of lights the signal/indicators and brake lights, they will all be separate units so i presume i will need a wireless transmitter and 3 x receivers which will output to the leds they will all be running of 12v as well

can anyone advise on this please thank you
You are going to trust a wireless connection in an automotive environment - with risk of giving yourself or a family member whiplash or worse? How often does your mobile phone drop a connection? Your wifi?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Trigger warning: Story without a happen ending
A relative who had impaired use of her feet used a radio-linked control system in her car to control the brakes and accelerator. One day the radio link failed. She has not walked a step in the decades since the accident. Her daughter only lost some baby teeth and fully recovered.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
And further, you will still need a connector and cable for the 12V so just add some extra pins/wires.
Unless you're going to battery power the extra lights and add the risk of a flat battery.

epochcraig

Joined Jul 21, 2016
hello , ok thank you for the concern on my safety, and your replys, but i may not have made this that clear the project isn't to replace my existing brake and indicator lighting it is to accompany it, so if it was to drop out there original lighting will still be in place , the idea i have is actually for me on my motorbike and to make me more visible, it will be stitched into clothing and in use along side my existing bike lights

im not sure if wireless is the best hence why im asking for help as to what the best route is to take to have the remote lighting weather it is wireless bluetooth RF etc thanks again :)

epochcraig

Joined Jul 21, 2016
hello yes its the same principle as a cyclist having a white light on the front and flashing read lights on the rear as long as they are being used in the correct manor it is legal, even the cyclists can buy helmets with the lights embedded , there is a stick on modual for the bike helmet for sale but is a big clunky plastic unit that sticks to the back of your helmet i want to make it more hidden and modern

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Trigger warning: Story without a happen ending
A relative who had impaired use of her feet used a radio-linked control system in her car to control the brakes and accelerator. One day the radio link failed. She has not walked a step in the decades since the accident. Her daughter only lost some baby teeth and fully recovered.
Under what circumstances would it ever be considered necessary to use a radio link to extend or re-position the controls in a car?

here is the unit i am talking about

Can you link to the site of that product? Need more info to know how to control it. That said, the thing still needs wires for power and a power source- are you planning on plugging this into your motorcycle battery every time you use this? I'd recommend a separate portable battery pack.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Can you link to the site of that product? Need more info to know how to control it. That said, the thing still needs wires for power and a power source- are you planning on plugging this into your motorcycle battery every time you use this? I'd recommend a separate portable battery pack.
I would plug it into a trickle charger fob (aka. SAE connector).

Oh I see. Google Image Search FTW: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Mo...ndicator-/262124692506?_trksid=p2352135.l4275
So there's a transmitter box you can permanently mount to the bike and power with that SAE connector. That light assembly is a separate unit for a helmet or jacket, powered with an internal AAA battery case. You need to use switches or whatever manually to send signals to the green and yellow wires of the transmitter to signal to the lights what direction you're turning, etc. It has a receiver already built in and presumably paired to that transmitter box - if the description is accurate, you need not buy any separate transmitter and receiver.

epochcraig

Joined Jul 21, 2016
Oh I see. Google Image Search FTW: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Mo...ndicator-/262124692506?_trksid=p2352135.l4275
So there's a transmitter box you can permanently mount to the bike and power with that SAE connector. That light assembly is a separate unit for a helmet or jacket, powered with an internal AAA battery case. You need to use switches or whatever manually to send signals to the green and yellow wires of the transmitter to signal to the lights what direction you're turning, etc. It has a receiver already built in and presumably paired to that transmitter box - if the description is accurate, you need not buy any separate transmitter and receiver.
Hello Seth

thank you for that reply thats it exactly im not replacing any control etc, correct i just needed to know what devices i would need to do this as you said i would need separate transmitter and receivers but not sure which or what type to get for this project could i get one transmitter and two receivers and would i need to program that?

No, I mean that box it came with - that IS the transmitter. The receiver is built into the lights. If that's what you bought, you already have BOTH. Below I copy-pasted the Ebay listing description.

Features :

Attached to a motorcycle helmet for warning effect which is quite obvious

especially in foggy, rainy, or snowy weather, or at night or in dark environment,

Effectively preventing rear-end collisions and ensuring driver's safety

Turn light on, all LEDs flash twice, then red brake leds are on

All lights flash once while turning it off

Press and on/off button for 5 seconds to enter code matching mode

Specification:

Material: PC Lens,ABS Housing

Number of LED:8 LED (4 for red brake light, 2 for left turn signal, and 2 for right turn signal)

Wireless transmitter: 12V

(Connect its black wire to negative terminal, red to positive terminal, green to right turn, and yellow to left turn.)

Power Supply: AAA Battery(not included in package)

Size : 150mm x 37mm x 22mm ( 6''x 1.5''x 0.9'')

Package Included:

1 x Motorcycle Helmet Light (3M Adhesive Tape Included)

1 x Transmitter

epochcraig

Joined Jul 21, 2016
yeah i understand what you mean i havnt bought them the transmitter would be perfect but i need the lights at the receiver end to be independent left / right so i can place them in other locations

In that case you need something totally different from that item as-is. Obviously you can't simply cut that thing in half. If you were to take it apart, in theory you could de-solder the LEDs on each side and solder wires in their place, then solder the original LEDs onto those wires to place them in individual locations, but that's quite a lot of work and would look awful. I can't think of any way you could separate some and maintain functionality. Basically the whole light assembly is really cheap so its safe to assume it is wired in a way something like this:
https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/g6bh4w/cycle-light-control/

Basically, there's probably those three groups of LEDs wired separately. The light control circuit I'm assuming includes the receiver, and upon getting the right signal, triggers MOSFETs to activate the needed LEDs (D1,D2, ...). What you'd need to do is physically relocate the left and right LEDs and reconnect them the same way to that circuit with wires. Otherwise, you'll need like three separate units - one for left lights, one for right, one for brake.
Because that device uses 2.4GHz radio band to communicate, I have no idea how you could possibly guarantee that any receiver bought separately would still interact with that transmitter - that's beyond my expertise. I also am unsure how one would go about linking a single transmitter to three separate receivers simultaneously. No clue how you get them all on one band.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Under what circumstances would it ever be considered necessary to use a radio link to extend or re-position the controls in a car?
I was involved in the design of a skii helmet containing an avalanche beacon. One of the considerations was that no part of the transmitter (battery pack, antenna, controls) create any "bumps" that could counter act the action of the cushioning in the helmet. Similarl

I wondered the same.