Help needed with car fuse adapter.

knight3136

Joined Feb 13, 2021
I have a 2020 Rav4 XLE, I have an empty slot in my fuse box. I have an accessory that requires 20 amps. The vehicle has low profile mini fuses, but all fuse adapters I find online are 16 gauge. I would need a 12 or 14 gauge adapter. I can't find any online. How am I'm going to be able to power this device when the vehicle is on. The empty slot does provide power when the vehicle is on online and vehicle manual doesn't state how many amps it can handle.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not many circuits in a car use 20A fuses and I doubt the existing wiring is up to it. You’d be safer running your own line to the battery with an inline fuse. Or use the existing line only to trip a relay that then powers your device.

knight3136

Joined Feb 13, 2021
Not many circuits in a car use 20A fuses and I doubt the existing wiring is up to it. You’d be safer running your own line to the battery with an inline fuse. Or use the existing line only to trip a relay that then powers your device.

I was thinking of doing this, connect a 30 amp relay to power the device. I need the device to power on whenever the car turns on. So I am connecting a 5 amp fuse adapter from inside the car's fuse box which will trigger the relay. This is the same adapter I was thinking of powering the device. A 5 amp add a fuse adapter should be enough to trigger the relay?

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
RAV4s use extremely small wiring, somewhere in the area of 18-22 gauge for a lot of it circuits so you need to be careful what you plug in and where. I am with the thought of the extra relay and runnit back to the battery or engine bay PDC. That is one vehicle you dont want to mess up the wiring on.