Help needed to Identify a Mullard transistor projects book from 1960s

kiwiengr

Joined Nov 21, 2018
I am trying to locate a Mullard transistor projects hobby book (this is descriptive of the contents, but is not the title), but after extensive web searching have come up blank. I do not remember the title, but it was soft-cover large-format, stapled, perhaps 100 pages. I think the overall color on the cover was green. It may have been published by Mullard-Australia. UK publication data unknown. I received my copy of this book when I lived as a kid in New Zealand. I do remember some of the projects, and actually built one of them, which worked well for many years: a 3-volt Geiger counter that used a gamma-sensitive Philips GM tube and had a single-transistor oscillator and home-wound Ferroxcube high voltage transformer. I remember that the book also included an OC16 audio power amplifier project, and an OCP71 photo-transistor relay project. Any help in locating the book's name and publication information, and even a picture of the cover/table-of-contents would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Alastair

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I still have my old Mullard Reference Manual of Transistor Circuits. 1961.
For searching for old such copies, keep a regular check of Abe Books Clearing house, they often have some rare finds.
Max.

kiwiengr

Joined Nov 21, 2018
The book has been identified. It is Transistors for the Home Constructor, Volume 1 (1960) or Volume 2 (1961) published by SA Philips (i.e., South Africa Philips, not as I had mis-remembered, Mullard-Australia). There is a review of volume 1, and some mention of volume 2 here: http://www.awasa.org.za/downloads/category/2-brian-austin-zs6bkw-g0gsf-publications
The review mentions that a thousand copies of volume 2 were sent to New Zealand, and one of those was snagged by me soon afterwards. Volume 2 looked just like the attached cover picture of volume 1, so it is not yet clear if volume 2 was more like a second edition of volume 1, containing updates rather than new material. Anyhow, I think I will be able to get this sorted out now. A big thank you to everyone who responded to my request!!!
N.B. Lots of other great vintage material at AWASA too; drop by and sign their visitor's book.
Thank you,
73 Al Roxburgh AJ4RF
Philips - Transistors for the Home Constructor, vol 1.jpg

Attachments