Help needed to identify a component

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
List the device its in. mac laptop?
Tell us if you think its defective and why, or if its functioning and your just curious.
Trace out the circuit and components directly connected to it. the black mask makes it hard to make anything out.

There is a very little chance someone can just look at that and say, oh I know what that random ic labeled gg8b is!!!, its a .........

Massy

Joined Aug 3, 2019
Thanks for your message, you are right, it must be a Voltage regulator or SMPS, I was like 50/50 between GG58 or GG5B until I saw the exact product in the link you have kindly attached. This is a WiFi night vision Camera that has stopped working since we have had a power surge a while ago. It's is clear from the attached photos that this component is burnt out and I thought to give a second chance to live again. Hopefully it will work after my repair :)

it is definitely an IC and it is next to inductor so it is likely SMPS or voltage regulator or voltage monitor

maybe:
https://www.yoycart.com/Product/563043051412/

Attachments

Massy

Joined Aug 3, 2019
List the device its in. mac laptop?
Tell us if you think its defective and why, or if its functioning and your just curious.
Trace out the circuit and components directly connected to it. the black mask makes it hard to make anything out.

There is a very little chance someone can just look at that and say, oh I know what that random ic labeled gg8b is!!!, its a .........
Thanks for your message it is a WiFi night vision Camera that I am try to repair, it has stopped working as I explained in my previous post, you can clearly see from the attached photos that the IC has burnt out. For now I have start from this one unless I can find any other defective components.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Something to keep in mind when repairing such equipment: When an IC fails (or other active or even passive device) it can harm other components in ways that are not visually detectible. You could replace this component only to discover it was destroyed by some other fault that may still exist. Now your new replacement part can be blown out in similar fashion.

One piece of advice is to fully diagnose the problem before beginning repairs. Your particular repair project is above my skill level. For me, replacing the unit may be cheaper than the time and expenses as well as the learning curve to repair the defective unit. But that's my approach. Some find great pleasure in fixing something just for the experience of fixing it.

Massy

Joined Aug 3, 2019
Something to keep in mind when repairing such equipment: When an IC fails (or other active or even passive device) it can harm other components in ways that are not visually detectible. You could replace this component only to discover it was destroyed by some other fault that may still exist. Now your new replacement part can be blown out in similar fashion.

One piece of advice is to fully diagnose the problem before beginning repairs. Your particular repair project is above my skill level. For me, replacing the unit may be cheaper than the time and expenses as well as the learning curve to repair the defective unit. But that's my approach. Some find great pleasure in fixing something just for the experience of fixing it.
You are right. However, lucky enough this IC and a couple of resistors are they the only components failed based on my diagnosing. I think what happened was that as the voltage regulator burnt out due the power surge, it has eventually cut off the power supply to the rest of the board and they survived somehow.
The Camera is around £80 to £90 and I can possibly repair it with less than £10 plus the joy of fixing it and see it alive again. Ordered the components today now so looking forward for the postman o_O

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
i am not patient type. all of my orders from China took forever even when using DHL or UPS. one the IC pins is going to be connected to output rail. if you know what pin is that (from datasheet) you should be able to inject correct voltage and see if this works, without waiting for replacement IC....

Massy

Joined Aug 3, 2019
i am not patient type. all of my orders from China took forever even when using DHL or UPS. one the IC pins is going to be connected to output rail. if you know what pin is that (from datasheet) you should be able to inject correct voltage and see if this works, without waiting for replacement IC....
Thanks for your advice! Could not find the data sheet anywhere :cool:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
you already ordered it. did you consider asking seller to help you out?

also one can check what gets power from this device. this means probing board to find out other nearby chips powered by this device. those will have a datasheet and clearly identify power rail. then one can also check if the power rail is shorted to GND or other rails. if that is the case, what ever killed this chip will do it again. there are only handful of popular voltages like 5V, 3.3V etc so one could even find compatible replacement. it is all in your hands so question is if you feel adventurous....

Last edited: