Help needed, energy harvesting.

D3NCH1829

Joined Jun 30, 2022
Hello,

I am seeking help which can only be explained via phone call. I classify myself as a novice when it comes to electronics, the components and energy harvesting.

I have spent many hours/days/months on sites trying to research as much as I can. (Yes I know it takes years, I have just started due to becoming disabled and house bound).

It would be great if someone could inbox me to arrange having a chat.

Please note, this is not a typical project I.e rc, household or automotive. This is a project for energy harvesting and stepping-up voltage.

Kind regards,

Jay.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I suggest you change the title of your thread. "Help needed" is too generic and a lot of knowledgeable people that might qualify to help you will probably just ignore your request. It's important to be more specific so as to make it easier for others to come to your aid.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I suggest putting your concept into text (words in a file) because making a physical statement is the way to organize thoughts into a meaning full stream. Consider that if you have difficulty arranging thoughts, how difficult it would be for somebody else to understand enough to provider any assistance.

About energy harvesting: For any quantity of electrical energy harvested, the power (volts times amps) is constant in a 100% efficient system. This means that multiplying the voltage does not increase the power.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello,

I am seeking help which can only be explained via phone call. I classify myself as a novice when it comes to electronics, the components and energy harvesting.

I have spent many hours/days/months on sites trying to research as much as I can. (Yes I know it takes years, I have just started due to becoming disabled and house bound).

It would be great if someone could inbox me to arrange having a chat.

Please note, this is not a typical project I.e rc, household or automotive. This is a project for energy harvesting and stepping-up voltage.

Kind regards,

Jay.
This is just about the worst possible way to try and do what you are doing. Your approach is waving very large red flags. Get your head out of the dark place it is in. I would not give a stranger my phone number under any conceivable circumstances.

EDIT: For absolutely no cost to you at all I'm going to give you the immutable rule of ALL power conversion schemes; and it is ths:

Immutable Rule #1: The power out of any power conversion scheme will always be less than the power in. Sometimes it will be much less.

What are the implications of this rule?
  1. If you step up the output voltage with respect to the input voltage you will cut the current by more than the step up percentage.
  2. If you are careless or sloppy in your design the conversion efficiency will be much worse than you expect.
  3. There are no easy shortcuts to designing power conversion schemes.
The upshot of this is that you might want to establish more modest goals.

As a side note, we have other members who are in the same circumstances as yourself and you might benefit from a 1:1 conversation with them. The forum does support this feature, but I think you need a total of 10 posts for it to be available. Let me try to start one with you so you can see how it works.

Last edited:

D3NCH1829

Joined Jun 30, 2022
This is just about the worst possible way to try and do what you are doing. Your approach is waving very large red flags. Get your head out of the dark place it is in. I would not give a stranger my phone number under any conceivable circumstances.

EDIT: For absolutely no cost to you at all I'm going to give you the immutable rule of ALL power conversion schemes; and it is ths:

Immutable Rule #1: The power out of any power conversion scheme will always be less than the power in. Sometimes it will be much less.

What are the implications of this rule?
  1. If you step up the output voltage with respect to the input voltage you will cut the current by more than the step up percentage.
  2. If you are careless or sloppy in your design the conversion efficiency will be much worse than you expect.
  3. There are no easy shortcuts to designing power conversion schemes.
The upshot of this is that you might want to establish more modest goals.

As a side note, we have other members who are in the same circumstances as yourself and you might benefit from a 1:1 conversation with them. The forum does support this feature, but I think you need a total of 10 posts for it to be available. Let me try to start one with you so you can see how it works.
Don't comment and go away if you ain't gonna help lol!

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Energy harvesting is an interesting concept and a very broad field. Some of the schemes work very well in successful products while others are total failures.
One small scale scheme that has worked is using the mechanical energy of flipping a light switch, captured as an electrical pulse, to send a signal to a receiver to switch on the lights. Another scheme that was a failure was to collect the foot-fall energy of folks walking on a sidewalk to power lighting. A sidewalk that captures energy takes more work to walk on and thus folks avoid it.
so a lot of concepts merit additional thinking, but not all of them will be useful.

So, as I suggested before, write out your concept in a detailed format, and then you can evaluate the different elements to see if they make sense and if they are even reasonably possible. An electrical engineer should be able to write thins out fairly well. What sort of electrical engineer is the ts??

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

In order to obtain help and advice in a timely and intelligent fashion you need to express your goals clearly and concisely.
Members on AAC can communicate very effectively via text on the open forums. This allows many active members who are experts in their fields to contribute to the discussion.

Give this a try and see if it works for you.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Please be more specific.

You are an Electrical Engineer interested in energy harvesting?
What is the source of the energy?
What voltage, current, power, energy are you hoping to harvest in numeric values with proper electrical units, please?