Help me choose a microcontroller

redgear

Joined Oct 17, 2019
Hi,
I am looking for a microcontroller for my first project. The microcontroller will be connected to a lcd display, relay, a microswitch and three button switches. The microcontroller basically will be responsible for these functions:
1) The microcontroller should check if the microswitch is closed, if the switch is closed and the button switch 1 is pressed, it should turn on the Relay for 5 minutes.
2) If button switch 2 is pressed it should pause the timer until the start switch is pressed and micro switch is closed.
3) If button switch 3 is pressed it should turn off the relay and reset the timer.
4) Display corresponding messages in the LCD(would be great if it can handle a color/touchscreen TFT)

I can code in C but have no idea about asm. Will need a good community and development tools. This is my first project and something with a easy learning curve would be a great fit. Coming to the costs, I would like to keep it as low as possible(less than $1 -2?). I have used the Arduino ecosystem in the past and have a pretty good understanding of it.

Why I am hesitant to go with an Arduino? Arduinos are great for prototyping... But they cost huge (~$10). Are Arduinos as reliable as a standalone microcontroller?

Rn, I am considering a STM8S003 and program it with Sduino.

Last edited:

redgear

Joined Oct 17, 2019
Arduino compatible boards abound for cheap. Why not use one?
Can they be used for commercial products? I haven't found any arduinos being used on commercial devices.
If I right, I can just the arduino compatible MCU without having to include the entire Arduino right?
What do think about using an ATMega 4809 and a external oscillator? Do I need an external oscillator or are the internal clocks on arduino's reliable?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also see the tutorials and builds on the Nigel Goodwin Tutorial page.
There is also a link out there where someone has converted all the programs from assembly to C.
There is also the Gooligum tutoriols, Some in C versions also.
Max.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Arduino is open source and can be used in commercial products. There are many tutorials and example projects on the internet. If You are designing a product, you can do the development using a clone Arduino uno R3 module. When it is fully developed and tested, the production models can be built using just the ATmega 328 IC and a 16 Mhz crystal. The IC can be programmed using the Arduino.
Keith

redgear

Joined Oct 17, 2019
Arduino is open source and can be used in commercial products. There are many tutorials and example projects on the internet. If You are designing a product, you can do the development using a clone Arduino uno R3 module. When it is fully developed and tested, the production models can be built using just the ATmega 328 IC and a 16 Mhz crystal. The IC can be programmed using the Arduino.
Keith
Thank you very much. This definitely helps.