Help make relay do two things

jatgm1

Joined May 13, 2016
So I have a contactor that I plan on plugging a 12 adapter into. And want to use a 12v relay to make a motorized valve open or close. Was hoping to get a dpdt relay that's always on unless powered side powers a 12v connection that goes to the "close valve" wire on the motorized valve, then use the always off unless powered side powers the "close valve" wire on it. Theirs a common wire, close valve, and open valve. It will stop powering the valve once fully open or closed and then the motorized valve will turn off. How can I set this up? I'm having trouble. P.s. it will run on dc or ac power.

jatgm1

Joined May 13, 2016
Screenshot_20230522-165517.jpg

Screenshot_20230522-165512.jpg

So basically how do I do this with a relay instead of a switch. Like conceptually, how, and also physically, how.

jatgm1

Joined May 13, 2016
So I have a contactor that I plan on plugging a 12 adapter into. And want to use a 12v relay to make a motorized valve open or close. Was hoping to get a dpdt relay that's always on unless powered side powers a 12v connection that goes to the "close valve" wire on the motorized valve, then use the always off unless powered side powers the "close valve" wire on it. Theirs a common wire, close valve, and open valve. It will stop powering the valve once fully open or closed and then the motorized valve will turn off. How can I set this up? I'm having trouble. P.s. it will run on dc or ac power.
Like how can I do this but with a few relays so it's smaller and 12v?

Iot Relay - Enclosed High-power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or Wifi, Relay Shield

On Amazon and I think adafruit

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Your odds are likely better here than the other forum I replied to you in. Back to your relay(s) a relay has two states, it is either energized or not. You mentioned DPDT relay which is (Double Pole Double Throw). OK, now I get the three wire you mentioned for the valve. Again a link to the valve would help.

You want things to look a little like this. I still have no idea why you called out a DPDT when a SPST should do just fine.

Relay Motor.png

On the above the relay contacts are #3 Common, #4 is NC (Normally Closed) and #5 is NO (Normally Open). When the relay coil is energized the NO becomes closed and the NC becomes open. Now do you have a link to the valve? Less knowing anything else this is as good as it gets.

Ron

jatgm1

Joined May 13, 2016
Your odds are likely better here than the other forum I replied to you in. Back to your relay(s) a relay has two states, it is either energized or not. You mentioned DPDT relay which is (Double Pole Double Throw). OK, now I get the three wire you mentioned for the valve. Again a link to the valve would help.

You want things to look a little like this. I still have no idea why you called out a DPDT when a SPST should do just fine.

View attachment 294755

On the above the relay contacts are #3 Common, #4 is NC (Normally Closed) and #5 is NO (Normally Open). When the relay coil is energized the NO becomes closed and the NC becomes open. Now do you have a link to the valve? Less knowing anything else this is as good as it gets.

Ron
Do you know if I can just use some 12v relays to do this instead?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You can use any relay having a coil voltage of your choosing. What exactly will trigger this? You want to water so what starts the process? You will also see a reply in the other forum showing about what I did in schematic form. Generally when you start a project like this or similar you start with a clean blank sheet of paper and a pencil with a large eraser. You start by listing what your goal is, what you expect to happen and what will make it happen. You want automated watering of plants. So when to water? The possibilities are endless. You can for example look at soil moisture content, you can look at on command as in you initiate the start and stop, you can have a timed watering cycle and ... finally you can just go to any home improvement or hardware store and buy an off the shelf solution like a simple irrigation system.

Ron