Help identifying ceramic capacitor (I think?)

kaindub

Joined Oct 28, 2019
I'm going to go off in another direction and say that it is probably a polyswitch. Nominal resistance 3.9 ohms. used to limit the inrush current to the rectifier and capacitors on switch on. If this has failed, which is what it looks like and your fuse is blowing, then there is short circuit in the rectifier or capacitors of the SMPS.
Replace the polyswitch with a 240V incandescent bulb (say 40-60W) and if the bulb glows you know you have a short circuit, Track it down from there.
Element14 or RS should be able to supply a replacement polyswitch

J3553

Joined Apr 27, 2020
I'm going to go off in another direction and say that it is probably a polyswitch. Nominal resistance 3.9 ohms. used to limit the inrush current to the rectifier and capacitors on switch on. If this has failed, which is what it looks like and your fuse is blowing, then there is short circuit in the rectifier or capacitors of the SMPS.
Replace the polyswitch with a 240V incandescent bulb (say 40-60W) and if the bulb glows you know you have a short circuit, Track it down from there.
Element14 or RS should be able to supply a replacement polyswitch
Thanks! I'll give that a shot indeed!

J3553

Joined Apr 27, 2020
Have a look at this : https://www.murata.com/en-global/products/productdetail.aspx?partno=PTGL18AR6R0H8B72B0
It's on the Murata website but there are lots of similar items. It is an "electronic fuse, self re-settable" PTC device. Rated at 265V so should be OK for your mains supply. The only thing you need to find is the trip current.
Thanks very much! many potential solutions! I'm starting to think I may be out of my depth here. I may need to try harder at tracking down the correct schematic and put it to rest once and for all!

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
That one has a max voltage of 53v, whatever it is I'm looking for appears to be dealing with mains voltage of 230v. We do appear to be getting close though I think!
and the lead configuration is different. Reversing and searching "PTGL10AR3R9M3P51B0" and looking at images shows a marking of "R3R9". So, not so sure. You have a mystery.

J3553

Joined Apr 27, 2020
Quick ebay search found 6 replacement Panasonic TNPA6072 boards from 34 Euros (but supplied from the UK).
Thanks for all your help! I've actually decided to take this route as well as still try and repair the dead one just for my own interest. So there's a replacement board already on it's way.

RPLaJeunesse

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Notice that the part in question appears in parallel with relay RL7101 contacts. This is common for an inrush current limiter, for which a 3.9 Ohm NTC thermistor seems quite reasonable. As the supply output approaches regulation the relay contacts close, shorting out the NTC and giving full power.