Help identifying a capacitor

Welderherup

Joined Oct 25, 2021
Would anybody be so kind as to aid me in the Identification of these two components? I’m repairing an old Lister LT1 and am having voltage issues. I suspect these are the offending culprits. The outer skins of the capacitors are badly perished and so identifying it may be difficult.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If indeed capacitors, they appear to electrolytic variety and as such are probably not critical values in that circuit?
What fried them in the first place is the question?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Max, I think the two components are low value film resistors that have been overloaded. This is from what seems to be the remains of a spiral track on the horizontal component. I suggest that Welderherup traces out the schematic of the board to see which idea is most likely to be correct.
I Googled "Lister LT1" and it seems to be a single cylinder diesel engine. I don't see why a diesel engine would require any electronic components. Are you sure it is part of the engine and not something being driven by the engine ?

Les.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hi Max, I think the two components are low value film resistors that have been overloaded. This is from what seems to be the remains of a spiral track on the horizontal component.
Les.
Yeah, same thing did cross my mind. ;)
Also strange as you say, the small apparent HF coils are a question!
The IC may give a clue?

Welderherup

Joined Oct 25, 2021
Hi, thanks for the reply’s. The engine runs an generator and this is part of the power head and I suspect voltage regulator. I’ve searched for the manual but I can only find the one specific to the Diesel engine. I did find one lister generator manual but the generator on that one is too different to be of any use.
I bought the generator and it was working but I didn’t test the voltage or anything. I went to service it and give it a check over when I got home and discovered that it was making 70v. After a service and fixing a few obvious things it was up to 130v. I adjusted the throttle (revs up about 500-700rpm by ear) and brought it up to 230v but it seemed to be low on power when using a tool so perhaps the frequency is way off now.