Help identify the purpose of this object (MC14011 + CD4060).

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Can someone please assist me in identifying the purpose of this object thanks . Can it possibly be a timer?
Yes, it could be a timer. It could also be a trigger for a nuclear device. It could also be a receiver for an automobile radio. It could also be a computer mouse. It could also be a TV remote control. It could also be a dimmer for your lamps. It could also be a engine control for your lawn mover. It could also be a heater control for your coffee maker.

I think these about cover what it could be.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Of course, it could be a timer. It could also be a lot of other things. One chip (the one with the tab) looks like it may be providing power to something

Can you read the markings on any of the chips?

Bdle

Joined Oct 20, 2019
Maybe some back ground.. A truck came into our shop with complaints of the cab blower motor cutting out of high after a bit.. Apparently had been in the shop before for the same issue and all that was done was clean grounds up and it worked again. So I found this mounted behind the air cleaner under the hood. The case for it has a ford sticker on it but I cant find it in any parts sources. It does say it's a 3 min timer module. But I'm wondering if that's the real case, if in the past the grounds were cleaned up and it worked again.. How could that be if this were installed. Or could this have been installed to make someone or other people think a technician was incompetent.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
There is just a bunch of components, so why don´t you go through the connections and draw an actual schematic? Then it should be pretty easy to tell what exactly it does.

Bdle

Joined Oct 20, 2019
There is just a bunch of components, so why don´t you go through the connections and draw an actual schematic? Then it should be pretty easy to tell what exactly it does.
Well that was part of my plan for Monday Was to trace the wiring and components however but I figured that possibly what the board was composed of would give off what the intended purpose of it is. A bunch of resistors and a few chips with numbers on them. Is there really that many possibilities of what I could be

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Looks like what it says - a 3-minute timer.
By the looks of it, the purpose of it is to apply +12VDC power to some kind of blower for 3 minutes after the ignition switch is turned on.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
While you are at it, take one of two pictures in daylight outdoors, avoiding the sunlight shining on the board and then draw your schematic.