Help fixing a car battery charger.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi BM,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Sorry about all these questions, but your charger has us scratching our heads.:rolleyes:
When it was running, is the area around the transformer make a buzzing sound [ not the transformer hum], also any signs of sparking at those contacts on that right hand side contact set.?
E

Mr Babu Mistry

Joined May 8, 2018
hi BM,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Sorry about all these questions, but your charger has us scratching our heads.:rolleyes:
When it was running, is the area around the transformer make a buzzing sound [ not the transformer hum], also any signs of sparking at those contacts on that right hand side contact set.?
E
There is no buzzing sound at all, as I said The charger is working fine,It just that i needed to put diodes to help back flow of current if by mistake you connect Positive to Negative, just for that reason

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I still think that's a thermal cut-out, intended for only occasional use. For it to be some sort of vibratory rectifier itself it would need much beefier contacts. Is it possible that the shiny 'bracket' it's mounted on is in fact a rectifier bolted to the transformer core?

Last edited:

Mr Babu Mistry

Joined May 8, 2018
I still think that's a thermal cut-out, intended for only occasional use. For it to be some sort of vibratory rectifier itself it would need much beefier contacts. Is it possible that the shiny 'bracket' it's mounted on is in fact a rectifier bolted to the transformer core?
Let me sand you a proper photo for the charger as I sad the transformer has 220 AC input and the output is on one wire 6 Volts earth (-) and there is and other wire output is 12 Volts earth (-)
On the positive terminal for 12 volts( Battery +) there is fuse.
The output are two wires from Transformer 6 volts and 12 Volts Negative common, this earth wire solder on one side of thermal cut-out and the other wire from thermal cut-out goes in two way switch to select 6 Volts or 12 Volts when charging battery.
It is that simple, just check this video and this is the charger Make is DAVEN 6/12 volts
I hope the video is loaded

Attachments

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I wonder if the rectifier is in the meter?
It must have a "diode" as AC will not charge a battery.
On the pictures shown, I could not spot the connections to the meter as the transformer looks to have been removed from the case.
There is more of this charger to be seen. Can you post pictures of the lot?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Some battery chargers have a rectifier that is not recognizable as such, sandwiched in sheet metal, or part of a metal cover. Look alike

Where you see no rectifiers but nuts and bolts; sometimes soldered to tin metal. That is two rectifiers on the picture. Sharp trained eyes needed to spot them.