Help fixing a car battery charger.

Mr Babu Mistry

Joined May 8, 2018
Hi i am looking for a diagram on a battery charger with diodes, as I have very old battery charger without diodes.
If anyone can give the drawing on how to replace Diodes with diode velue.
Thanks
Lofty

Mr Babu Mistry

Joined May 8, 2018
Hi This is a English DAVEN set 6/12 volts, It is so simple it does not have selenium rectifier.
Let me give you the photo how it is inside and outside.

images.jpg

IMG_20180613_111036.jpg

IMG_20180613_111148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
There's only one wire going to the thermal cut-out at top right of the picture, so what you show can't be the complete charger.

Mr Babu Mistry

Joined May 8, 2018
There's only one wire going to the thermal cut-out at top right of the picture, so what you show can't be the complete charger.
Yes it is just like you see let me exemple how this Charger works, there are two out put one is 6 volts and the other is 12 volts the main wire goes through fuse and the other wire goes from thermal to two way switch to select charging current 6/12 volt that it.
It is working just fine but I need to put Diode can i do that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Just thought to put diode so if someone puts the positive on wrong side it should help the fuse or thermal cut-out.
A diode won't help that.
Think about it.
The normal charging current it out of the charger and into the positive battery terminal.
If the battery is reversed, the current will still be in the same direction, only much larger, so the only protection for that is a fuse or circuit breaker.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Looking at the TS's photo's, there seems to be a regular cartridge fuse.
In series with the secondary winding, is what looks like a thermal cut out, could that actually be very a old fashioned mechanical vibrating rectifier that is magnetically energised by its proximity to the transformer magnetic field.????
E

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
could that actually be very a old fashioned mechanical vibrating rectifier that is magnetically energised by its proximity to the transformer magnetic field.
Good thought. It may well be.
Does it vibrate when the transformer is connected to the mains? That would clinch it.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
could that actually be very a old fashioned mechanical vibrating rectifier that is magnetically energised by its proximity to the transformer magnetic field.?
The magnetic field would pull the contact at twice the line frequency, so I don't see how that could work as a mechanical rectifier. :confused: