Help finding textbook

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I am looking for this textbook for self-study:
https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-e...f-Dynamic-Systems-8th-Edition/PGM1653583.html
ISBN: 9780134685717

I'm hoping the conglomeration here can help me track down a copy for less than $100 US. I would like a hardcopy of the US version. I've checked E-bay & Amazon
The book is a pre-req for a course I hope to take in the Spring2021. I tried to take the course this spring, but it was a bit over my head. The prof let me borrow this book and it made sense, so I think it's the starting point for me. I would like the 8th edition because there's a small possibility that I take the course in the Fall2020 and this will be the required text. Any help is appreciated.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
College textbooks are always overpriced, and most of the theory about feedback control systems has not changed in 30 years. So in addition to the mandated text there are many that are just as good, and perhaps even better.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
In the interest of "Transparency", He did say that he wanted a Hardback copy. The International Edition is a full-sized and high-quality paperback. Textbook companies are a bit like drug manufacturers and have different prices for different countries. I don't even begin to understand the publishing business but I have bought used International editions and they are pretty much identical to the US edition except for the lack of hard cover material and resultant binding and much less expensive. They also sell it as an ebook at about the same price as the International edition. I will also note that there is very little difference from edition to edition and I believe publishers often issue new editions to cut down on their loss of revenue due to used book sales to students. YMMV

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I always search online for a pdf version and often times I can find free ones. I’m currently enrolled in a course and using my iPad. I don’t miss hauling around a bag of textbooks. I miss being about to quickly flip from one section to another.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Me too... Much more difficult to find what I want by scrolling or searching vs. flipping pages. But I do like and use the PDFs. Not to mention that today's textbooks are HUGE! Also that by putting the PDF up on a large monitor makes it easier on my poor old eyes to see it.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Cheapest is $48.80 @ https://www.gettextbooks.com/isbn/9780134685717/

It scanned over 1000 booksellers and found over 100 selling it.
The cheapest hardcopy of the book at that link is $135. Cheaper versions are rentals.

Publishing politics is absurd, as already pointed out. Consider as well that my prof is likely colleagues with the authors - if they aren't one of the editors! Who knows if the author will walk in my door some day. Or even be at my dissertation. Do I really want an international version of his text sitting on my shelf? It's worth the extra money - but not too much extra!

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I made it pretty clear in my first post that I was interested in the 8th edition. US version. I understand the trade offs. Thanks though. Best price I’ve seen is ~$135 + shipping.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have also done well in college standing at the door of the last class that used the book I needed with a sign offering to buy the book. AND off-campus bookstores usually have better prices, especially for the used books..

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
Thanks everyone - I found a copy at my university library that I can use for a while (~1 month). I'll keep an eye out for a reasonably priced copy in the meantime.

Best price I've found on the 8th edition US copy is ~$135.

Sorry if I seemed terse in my reply to SamR - my time is currently limited - but I will be diving into this text and will likely have many questions for folks in the coming days.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Yep but that is the paperback International 8th Ed. and not the hardback US 8th Ed. he wants. Let me add that AbeBooks is probably the best used bookseller there is and my #1 goto.