help finding a switch

pandorazboxx

Joined Dec 11, 2005
hey guys,

i need to find a pushbutton switch that is connected when it is up and when you push it down it is off. But i need it to stay pushed in until you go and pull it back out.

its supposed to be an brake overtravel kill switch that will kill the ignition if the brakes fail, overtravel, and push the switch.

has anyone seen something like this?? please let me know thanks!

~Mark

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by pandorazboxx@Feb 28 2006, 04:17 PM
hey guys,

i need to find a pushbutton switch that is connected when it is up and when you push it down it is off. But i need it to stay pushed in until you go and pull it back out.

its supposed to be an brake overtravel kill switch that will kill the ignition if the brakes fail, overtravel, and push the switch.

has anyone seen something like this?? please let me know thanks!

~Mark
[post=14429]Quoted post[/post]​
I don't know about a physical switch but you could try using a latching circuit. Just have a normal switch operate a relay that latches on.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Stop/kill switches are common in industrial fields (also called Emergency Stop). Most electrical suppliers stock the mech (hit it to kill, pull back out to enable) with either N/O or N/C contact blocks separate.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by Gadget@Feb 28 2006, 07:57 PM
Stop/kill switches are common in industrial fields (also called Emergency Stop). Most electrical suppliers stock the mech (hit it to kill, pull back out to enable) with either N/O or N/C contact blocks separate.
[post=14435]Quoted post[/post]​
Didn't think of these but I think they maybe a bit big to fit under a dash on a brake pedal.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
SPST latching normally close push button is widely available and comes in various sizes and designs. Note that with these, a second step on the pedal will release the latch.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Originally posted by pandorazboxx@Feb 27 2006, 10:17 PM
hey guys,

[post=14429]Quoted post[/post]​
Contact your friendly neighborhood marine supply place and ask for a small "two-position off-on push-pull switch." Be prepared to shell out ten or fifteen bucks.

Grant

Joined Mar 5, 2006
Guys!

Why??
Has nobody thought to question this at all?
Maybe it's just me.....but if my brakes failed in this way, the last thing I would want is also to have no engine power available!-Especially in an automatic transmission car! One may need the engine to use it's compression for braking and to choose the gear needed, what if the brake failure happened driving in traffic up an incline? Here the engine may be used to continue driving up the hill a distance before pulling over in a safe place. Another situation would be if one's vehicle finally came to a rest in the middle of an intersection or on the wrong side of the freeway, one would like to be able to use the engine to get out of the way! There are many scenarios.
And another thing!.......emergency stop pushbuttons are designed with the actual button, internal contacts and springs to be pushed and released "by hand" only. For anything else we use "limit switches".

Cheers,
Grant

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Nobody said the brakes were on an automobile. Requirement of the original post makes no sense in an automobile - reset requires manual action at the switch! Sounds more like some kind of industrial gizmo.

Grant

Joined Mar 5, 2006
Hi thingmaker3

"Nobody mentioned it was for an automobile"?? Well, you might see that windoze killa mentions this as in "under dash and brake pedal". I got the impression that pandorazboxx (Mark) was describing a car and of course I agree with you- that would make no sense. Maybe Mark will come back with a little more detail for us all!

Cheers,
Grant

yup, ive seen them. if u live in Oz, then u can get them at dick smith electronics if u dont, well i duno. but there avaliable in NC or NO so it will work - also they are miniture, kinda - not a kill switch