Help designing a circuit - octave down guitar effects pedal

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Schofieldius, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Schofieldius

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Hello. I am looking to build a guitar stompbox that will produce a deep bass-like sound. I have a number of components, mostly stripped from old electronics lying around my house, but due to the amount of money i have spent on recent purchases of soldering iron and pcb boards and various other tools and things, I have promised the wife i wont buy anymore components and will try to build from what ive got.
    These include:
    3 50k potentiometers
    4k:2k input transformer
    900:8 output transformer
    2x 4560D dual op amp ic
    2x 4558d dual op amp ic
    An7112 amplifier ic
    7476 dual jk flip flop
    Npn & pnp transistors
    Lots of diodes, resistors and capacitors
    2 switches, one of which is built into one of the potentiometers
    Input and output jacks
    9v battery connector

Help would be appreciated. i have been trying to educate myself on how such a circuit will operate and will continue to do so.

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    You're not going to achieve your goal with a random pile of electronic components.

You need to start with circuit schematic. Then see if you have any of the necessary components. Then start shelling out money for the rest. ;)

Google: octave down guitar effects pedal circuits

Ken

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
  4. Schofieldius

Nov 27, 2016
    Been working on this:

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    That circuit would not work. You have both /SET and /RESET tied to GND. The flip-flop will not toggle.
    Also digital circuits will put out square waves which would be very harsh sounding.

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    A sophisticated technique would be to use a digital signal processor to digitize the input signal and measure the fundamental frequency. Then you can synthesize a new sound based on that frequency.That is how "chorus" can be generated, i.e. you can add the third and fifth notes to create a triad.

Schofieldius likes this.
  7. Schofieldius

Nov 27, 2016
    I am aware of the nasty sounding harmonics associated with square waves, but still fancying this as a first pedal build. Thanks for your advice on the flipflops, i have a quad NAND chip and thought to implement them as a NOT between the j & k inputs. The logic tables ive attempted suggest the following circuit would work.

8. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Now however, you have left the S and R inputs floating. Not a good idea, as unpredictable results may occur. In order for the flip flop to operate, based on its JK inputs and a CLK signal, S and R must be high.

9. Schofieldius

Nov 27, 2016
    Thankyou