help creating a 5 button 5 LED toggle circuit

dutu00

Joined Nov 28, 2017
Hi!

I have 5 momentary buttons and 5 leds.

Does anybody know how to make a circuit such that when I press a button, the corresponding LED lights and all the others turn off?

I would greatly appreciate some help!

Thanks!!

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I got this schematic from instructibles but I haven't tried it out yet. You may try it if you're in a hurry.

Last time I did this type of circuit with a couples of D flip flops.

Attachments

dutu00

Joined Nov 28, 2017
It appears that it is not quite working...

I'm totally new to digital electronics, so I will try to explain in simple words...

I need to make a wired remote control for a tape deck. The remote control circuit uses 5 momentary switches. I would like that remote control to also have 5 leds, each one corresponding to REW, FF, STOP, PLAY, REC.

If I were to hook up a led directly to the button, the led will be lit only when the button is pressed. I would like the led to stay lit until I press another button.

If it were a basic program, I would write it this way:
--------------------
'my variables
button as byte
out1 as boolean
out2 as boolean
out3 as boolean
out4 as boolean
out5 as boolean

'each button will set up a value 1 to 5 in the variable button
input button

select
case 1:
out1=true
out2=false
out3=false
out4=false
out5=false

case 2:
out1=false
out2=true
out3=false
out4=false
out5=false

case 3:
out1=false
out2=false
out3=true
out4=false
out5=false

case 4:
out1=false
out2=false
out3=false
out4=true
out5=false

case 5:
out1=false
out2=false
out3=false
out4=false
out5=true

end select
------------------------

But how could this be done with simple chips (not Arduinos, PICs, etc)?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You are looking for a so-called radio push-button circuit.
Here's another example.
It does need the transistor buffer circuit on each output to drive the LEDs as dl324's circuit has.

upload_2017-11-28_21-3-30.png

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thanks a lot!! It looks like it might actually work!! :) I'll give it a practical try!!
Noticed a wiring problem. The output of IC4B touched the output of IC4A. I moved the net one grid to the right in Rev 0.1. I also added a missing connection dot on IC1-Q2 output; there was no ambiguity, but it was inconsistent.
upload_2017-11-28_16-50-42.png

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I suggest you download and try Digital Works.
I prefer DigitalWorks over Multisim, but I wish it was still being supported. Not being able to zoom in is a significant hardship for me; especially when you have multiple objects in the same location and it doesn't have a way to let you cycle through them to pick the one you want. Instead, it forces you to click repeatedly until it happens to select what you want.

Moving selected groups of objects, as in copy/paste, is hit or miss. Sometimes it deselects the group and you're left with a mess.

Moving gates/devices with wires is also hit or miss.

I've been using it for a year or two (introduced to it by a student in Homework Help). In that time, I've only found one bug. And some quirks handling flip flops made from gates.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I prefer DigitalWorks over Multisim, but I wish it was still being supported. Not being able to zoom in is a significant hardship for me; especially when you have multiple objects in the same location and it doesn't have a way to let you cycle through them to pick the one you want. Instead, it forces you to click repeatedly until it happens to select what you want.

Moving selected groups of objects, as in copy/paste, is hit or miss. Sometimes it deselects the group and you're left with a mess.

Moving gates/devices with wires is also hit or miss.

I've been using it for a year or two (introduced to it by a student in Homework Help). In that time, I've only found one bug. And some quirks handling flip flops made from gates.
Yes, the program is far from perfect. I actually paid for a fully functional licence about 20 years ago, and now it's being distributed for free. It's too bad that it's not supported anymore, but at least Mr Barker (the person who wrote it) has had the enormous generosity of distributing it for free nowadays. One of its more powerful features is that it actually lets you design your own digital chips, which can be included as macros in whatever circuit you're working. I remember replicating one or two commercially available chips that were not included in the distribution package, and were not available at the user's forums either.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I simulated the schematic in post #2 and it works...
cmos radio button.PNG

But it used up 6 logic chips.... 3 x 4072 and 3 x 4001
The solution in @dl324 (post #5) used 5 chips and @crutschow (post #7) used 2 chips.

So the winner is @crutschow. It all depends on what logic chips you already have on hand.

Allen