Help and advice needed in constructing a circuit board with metal/magnetic sensors

seededbap

Joined Jul 6, 2018
Hello,

This is a bit of a weird one but wondered if anyone can offer any help.

I need a circuit board that will have 5 sensors attached, when a magnet/piece of metal comes into contact or comes near to one of the sensors I then need this information to be sent to a separate transmitter.

Does anyone know if this is even possible? It's for a theatrical prop which is why it may sound slightly peculiar in design.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Do you want the sensors to sense metal, magnet or both? (Sensing a magnet would be simplest.)
Do you need to know which sensor detects the metal/magnet?
How near is near?
What is the approximate distance between the sensors?

seededbap

Joined Jul 6, 2018
hi Chris,
Welcome to AAC.
It is possible, what is the required range of the transmitter.?
E
EDIT:

These are Hall effect magnetic sensors.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KY-003-Hall-Effect-Magnetic-Sensor-Module-for-Arduino-DC-5V-NEXT-DAY-DELIVERY/232735164764?hash=item363018c95c:m:mODAxaAj5L5brjQjhTief3w&var=532249798324

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I hadn't really considered the range, the greater the better obviously but in most cases it would be in close proximity to the device.

Thanks again!

Chris

seededbap

Joined Jul 6, 2018
Welcome to AAC!
Do you want the sensors to sense metal, magnet or both? (Sensing a magnet would be simplest.)
Do you need to know which sensor detects the metal/magnet?
How near is near?
What is the approximate distance between the sensors?
Hi,

A magnet would be fine for the sensors, I would need to know which sensor was detecting yes, and also discreetly (it's for a magic trick)

By near I mean it would almost touch the sensor. The sensors would roughly be about 5cm apart

Many thanks for your reply and your help!

Chris

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I then need this information to be sent to a separate transmitter
How 'separate'? Do you mean each sensor has its own transmitter, or all sensors share one transmitter which is some distance from the sensors?
Whatever, you will need some way of modulating a transmitter to provide an identity signal.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What do you intend doing with the sensor signals, circuit wise, or haven't you got that far?
I use the SS400 series of magnet sensors, also the glass reed switch mentioned works in a simple fashion.
Max.