Help - Add Aux Input to Wireless Subwoofer

danl

Joined Sep 24, 2013
Was given an old wireless subwoofer. Has no aux input or volume control. Do not have the remote.
Would like to add a single channel input from a mini MP3 player. Looked online, but the wireless is a generic board with many config options, and I have no idea where to start in adding input.
This will be a stand alone subwoofer to play an single 20 sec MP3 of cannon "booms". Single max volume setting is OK.
Pics of boards attached.
Subwoofer: Pinnacle, Model WS0112SL. About 10+ yrs old. 18VDC powered.
Can this be done?
Thank you.
20210223_184408.jpg20210223_184534.jpg20210223_184517.jpg20210223_184527.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Can this be done?
Almost certainly. But HOW is the mystery. What you're looking for is the interface from the signal to the power-amp that drives the speaker. You'll replace that with your own input.

Is this the only circuit inside. I don't see everything I would expect. For instance, where does the power come from and where does the speaker connect?

Here's the board right side up.

1614281744603.png

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Looking at the 4 inductors I think it is a bridged class D amplifier. I think the the IC above and between the right hand two inductors is the amplifier chip. I also think it only accepts digital audio input. I suggest you try to read the number in that chip and find the datasheet to see if my guess is correct. (I had a similar problem trying to extract analogue audio to add a headphone socket to a TV.)

Les.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I also think it only accepts digital audio input.
That could well be. Bummer. On the other hand, maybe there would be a way to feed in the 20-second clip other than using an mp3 player.

Big picture, I think I'd just use an mp3 player that can do bluetooth. Then everything gets used the way it was intended. No hacking.

danl

Joined Sep 24, 2013
That could well be. Bummer. On the other hand, maybe there would be a way to feed in the 20-second clip other than using an mp3 player.

Big picture, I think I'd just use an mp3 player that can do bluetooth. Then everything gets used the way it was intended. No hacking.
I tried to link my phone w bluetooth, but could not get it to connect. The device showed up on the phone, but no connection.
Don't have the remote that I think the system originally had.
I will give an mp3 player a shot.
Thank you.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I tried to link my phone w bluetooth, but could not get it to connect. The device showed up on the phone, but no connection.
Don't have the remote that I think the system originally had.
I will give an mp3 player a shot.
Thank you.
Pairing may be difficult if it required the remote you’re missing.