HELP! AC wave form for pure inductance

ahmed kamal

Joined Nov 2, 2014
20141102_160525.jpg

why the current wave form can`t take this shape ?
assuming voltage applied at first quarter from zero

i can`t find any information about it anywhere !

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Below is the simulation of two identical inductors with suddenly applied sinewave voltages. The top simulation, with the starting voltage at zero, has an initial transient current offset (the C in the equation) which requires about 2 1/2 seconds to settle to the steady-state value with the given inductor value and sine-wave frequency. The reason for this transient is that initially both the voltage across the inductor and the inductor current are zero (zero phase shift between them) so it takes some time for the inductor current to settle into the normal 90 degree shift between voltage and current.

The second simulation, with the initial voltage starting at the maximum has no such transient since the voltage and current start at 90 degrees out (zero current at the peak applied voltage).

Does that answer your question?

Inductor Current.GIF

ahmed kamal

Joined Nov 2, 2014
Below is the simulation of two identical inductors with suddenly applied sinewave voltages. The top simulation, with the starting voltage at zero, has an initial transient current offset (the C in the equation) which requires about 2 1/2 seconds to settle to the steady-state value with the given inductor value and sine-wave frequency. The reason for this transient is that initially both the voltage across the inductor and the inductor current are zero (zero phase shift between them) so it takes some time for the inductor current to settle into the normal 90 degree shift between voltage and current.

The second simulation, with the initial voltage starting at the maximum has no such transient since the voltage and current start at 90 degrees out (zero current at the peak applied voltage).

Does that answer your question?

View attachment 75026
Thank you for reply,
But do you have more articles explaining it more ?

Thank u again

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
But do you have more articles explaining it more ?
I don't know of any.
What don't you understand?
If you want a mathematical explanation, then you likely will have to work through the differential equations for the two different initial conditions for the application of the sine-wave voltage to the inductor. (I'm allergic to calculus so I can't be of much help with that. :rolleyes:)

ahmed kamal

Joined Nov 2, 2014