Header pin fitment

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
DIP sockets are made for narrow IC pins, not those square pins you get with an Arduino or shield.
You can try to use sockets made for square pins, just like the ones on an Uno or Mega. Not sure what they are called, but I'm sure they would be related to "arduino" prototyping somehow.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
i can't get 2.54mm pins to fit into 2.54mm 24 pin dip socket.
Trying to install arduino mrico board to an adapter i made
I'm not able to visualize the problem.
1647315044041.png
What type of socket are you using? Dual-wipe? Single-wipe? Machined pin?

I didn't try a 24 pin dual-wipe socket because inserting 0.025" square male header pins spreads the contacts so they're not suitable for IC's.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
DIP sockets are made for narrow IC pins, not those square pins you get with an Arduino or shield.
You can try to use sockets made for square pins, just like the ones on an Uno or Mega. Not sure what they are called, but I'm sure they would be related to "arduino" prototyping somehow.
This is what is normally used. The seller calls these "stackable" but that is incorrect, stackable headers have long pins on the bottom to allow plugging into another header.

1647336377040.png

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
You can modify the jaws on some jigs. Here is one soldering jig designer's perspective. Having a pair that move around is good idea.

When soldering a gang of 2.54mm pins it is easy to get alignment messed up because the short pin gets very hot and plastic housing melts.
A good soldering jig design will address those issues and save much time and keep your fingers tips from getting burnt.
When the pin rail is flush against the temporary support you can use a flat clamp or another temporary brace or wedge. (Described below)
I have also drilled small holes run a fine wire around the connector checked fit, then fastening it more securely by twisting wire tight and snipping it off later. A good soldering jig can get expensive time-consuming machining exact fiber board so sometimes we just have to use what we have
which means going back to basics.

The shape of the holder is important. An allegator clip is the wrong shape for pins but a small binder clip is flat,
If you place a small block on the pcb so the housing remains in position a rubber band can hold it while soldering.
There are lots of tricks. The basics often employ creative use like small pieces of model scale hardwood when designing jigs.
creative use of double-sided tape and the right adhesives. Small wood support temporarily held in place with two drops of fast setting adhesive.
Having the right inventory of hobby supplies in mind might takes some exploring and experimentation. Having a hobby shop in the neighborhood is always handy, the real estate and online trend has had a toll on small businesses that support electronics. The "Wait for delivery" and back order
is causing too much trouble. I think future fabricators and assemblers will need to locate to an industry supported zone having hardware and materials
specialized for electronics which is dominated by mega industry. Some of the shops in Shenzen started with selling leds now have make and sell
all kinds of electronic products. Having a variety of shops collaborating and the cheaper resources made the industry thrive there.
Shop Model Building Materials & Casting Supplies from Micro Mark

Last edited: