HDMI to VGA cable too long

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Hello. I set up an old digital proyector on my school with a laptop. At first I used it with a HDMI to VGA cable 4 meters long and worked fine. Now I moved it to 6 meters and the only cable longer enought is 10 meters. Sometimes the proyector lost the signal for few seconds. I think the problem is that the cable is too long. The only solution I found is to cut 4 meters and soldering it but I don´t know if that will be worse. Other option is to buy 2 cables 3 meters long, one of them HDMI to VGA and the other VGA to VGA and join them with the proper conection.

What do you think?

Thank you

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The run is likely too long to be reliable with a simple cable, and adding connectors to the mix isn’t going to improve that. Though you can find cables that pass HDMI certification up to about 15m, they are very expensive. ~6m is about the limit that most reputable manufacturers will recommend.

A possible solution is to use a CAT5 to HDMI converter, like this one. (improperly called a balun sometimes because it appears to be similar for purely surface reasons). The converter has two active boxes, one that accepts the input signal and has a CAT5 output and the other that accepts the CAT5 signal from the first and has an HDMI output.

So long as 1080p is sufficient, this is a very cost effective solution.

All this said, the cable may not be the cause of the problem, so further troubleshooting is called for.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly the problem is not that the cable is too long, but rather that it is much to poor a quality. Of course, in addition, the HDMI connector is designed to be cheap. I doubt that it is possible to produce a connector any cheaper than the poorer quality HDMI connectors, which are the low price substitute for the much better DVI connectors.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Certainly the problem is not that the cable is too long, but rather that it is much to poor a quality. Of course, in addition, the HDMI connector is designed to be cheap. I doubt that it is possible to produce a connector any cheaper than the poorer quality HDMI connectors, which are the low price substitute for the much better DVI connectors.
The HDMI connector has a high retention option but it's not seen on most cables. DVI (9.9 Gbps max) is fine for lower end video only but HDMI handles the entire 4/8K AV data stream that requires high speeds than the DVI connector is certified for.
1674324275974.png
There is also: https://www.amphenol-cs.com/media/w...tion/datasheet/inputoutput/io_hdmi_type_e.pdf

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One concern about the thought of cutting and splicing that HDMI cable is that it has a whole lot of conductors. The specification for one with audio is that it has 21 conductors. That is a whole lot of tiny wires in what should be a shielded cable. And all of them that I have seen have molded on connectors.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You might be able to find an HDMI cable that might plug into the projector. Or a VGA cable. DVI is the connector that was replaced bu the HDMI which costs much less to produce.
And it might possibly be that the existing connectors need to be cleaned. That might be cheap and easy to try.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I was thinking also about DVI cables, which carry the same signals as the HDMI but were usually better quality, because at that time the market had not yet become quite such a collection of commodity items.
Of course having to pay "NEW" price for everything is indeed a pain that tends to reduce the desire to experiment. And I know that in some areas there are no such things as resale shops or used materials dealers. Evidently I am fortunate in that aspect.